Some coffee news...

Archean

Magic Metal Beans Get Your Coffee Perfect + Keep it There

Nifty New Mug for Keeping Office Coffee Under Lock + Key

Very interesting Archean :)

I moved onto decaff a few days ago...it's far easier on the body, i know that.

axiom: my car doesn't go with out gas

corollary: i don't go without caffeine

"Heartbreak Ode Tell....."

axiom: my car doesn't go with out gas

corollary: i don't go without caffeine
Except a car doesn't suffer heart problems when exposed to prolonged fuel intake. ;)
Well, Benny, time to man up, forsake those high fat, high sugar desserts, and don't forget not killing that fatted calf. High Caffeine intake certainly isn't to blame for all the world's "heartbreak"! And as Peter Townshend so gently "demands" in, "The Who, Live at Leeds", "put that cigarette out......;)

captaincranky said:
Well, Benny, time to man up, forsake those high fat, high sugar desserts, and don't forget not killing that fatted calf. High Caffeine intake certainly isn't to blame for all the world's "heartbreak"! And as Peter Townshend so gently "demands" in, "The Who, Live at Leeds", "put that cigarette out......

I've always thought myself of being a man when i get ill; cold, flu, spots,...hell, even the runs and i'm still cracking on with life. But caffine really sends me round the bend (I've drank alot of it in my life and now i'm paying for it)

I was actually smoking when i read your post also...fancy that :D

I've always thought myself of being a man when i get ill; cold, flu, spots,...hell, even the runs and i'm still cracking on with life. But caffine really sends me round the bend (I've drank alot of it in my life and now i'm paying for it)

I was actually smoking when i read your post also...fancy that :D
Well, caffeine exacerbates cardiac issues, but I fail to grasp the concept where it creates them.

I've quit smoking for the final time now for going on 8 years. Before I quit, every winter when I got a cold, it would morph into bronchitis. The cold came in January, the final course of increasingly exotic antibiotics would generally be administered in Late April to early May. I believed I was "smoking responsibly", (less than a 1/2 pack a day), but my body vehemently disagreed.

Caffeine makes you irritable, and will up your blood pressure a tad, but really is fairly benign, a lesser evil if you will, without more serious underlying issues and risky behaviours.

Besides, many new studies seem to point toward, (caffeinated), coffee being good for you. Although one tends to question the motivation for those results a bit.

Well, caffeine exacerbates cardiac issues, but I fail to grasp the concept where it creates them.

I've quit smoking for the final time now for going on 8 years. Before I quit, every winter when I got a cold, it would morph into bronchitis. The cold came in January, the final course of increasingly exotic antibiotics would generally be administered in Late April to early May. I believed I was "smoking responsibly", (less than a 1/2 pack a day), but my body vehemently disagreed.

Caffeine makes you irritable, and will up your blood pressure a tad, but really is fairly benign, a lesser evil if you will, without more serious underlying issues and risky behaviours.

Besides, many new studies seem to point toward, (caffeinated), coffee being good for you. Although one tends to question the motivation for those results a bit.

Well, i was drinking 8 to 10 cups of coffee a day from being a 16 year-old, and only these past few months i've been having shortness of breath and very strange (and scary, i might add) heart palpitations. I had never felt what i felt in my life before (and with me being only 24, it can't be good)...I went to the doc, had an ECG, blood test, blood pressure test, all came back normal (although all these tests were done at a time when i felt better). So then i was wondering what have i been loading on...and i'm pretty sure the answer was caffine, since i came off it i've felt much better.

I've always said that i'll quit smoking when i reach 30...I probably won't though.

You actually sound like a doctor...or is that maybe just an old wise guy :D

I've actually had my aortic valve replaced, (@ age 41). This was brought on by a bout with Step throat, and some serious parental neglect. (My father insisted he wouldn't go the the doctor's office and wait with me, and opted to wait for the doc to make a house call). The penicillin came way too late to save my OEM heart valve.

In any event, when they catheterized me, my left ventricular pressure was 180 / 280...! (WTF, wow). (Only about 145/ 90 at the arm). When your blood pressure gradient is that severe, (heart chamber to arm differential), you are in danger of, "failure to depolarize", which means you simply shut off. Believe it or not, it becomes a purely electrical impulse issue.

With that said, blood pressure gradient can cause pulmonary edema, as you siphon water from red to blue blood side in your lungs, (or vice versa). And yep, caffeine can exacerbate that for sure, but it certainly wasn't causing it. I had a salty, salty pizza right before bed a couple of weeks before surgery, and when I metabolized the salt, my pressure spiked in my sleep, and I sat straight up,wide awake, heart pounding.. (The key word in that last sentence was...wait for it....SALT)!

Anyway, asthma induces shortness of breath, smoking induces asthma. Hmmm.

As a Brit, exactly what are you doing drinking coffee anyway? Tea contains theophylline, which is an anti asthmatic, and a stimulant as well.

You still have to quit smoking. I'm not a "born again non smoker" either, fags still smell good to me from 50 feet away.

I metabolized the salt, my pressure spiked in my sleep, and I sat straight up,wide awake, heart pounding ........ (The key word in that last sentence was...wait for it....SALT)!

Even more dangerous in this regard is Chinese food, whenever I consumed some certain dishes I ended up with higher blood pressure / sweating for 30 +/- minutes etc. I suspect they use MSG in some form during the cooking process, although the stuff was banned few years ago. Hence, nowadays I avoid going to any Chinese restaurants here.

I've actually had my aortic valve replaced, (@ age 41). This was brought on by a bout with Step throat, and some serious parental neglect. (My father insisted he wouldn't go the the doctor's office and wait with me, and opted to wait for the doc to make a house call). The penicillin came way too late to save my OEM heart valve.

In any event, when they catheterized me, my left ventricular pressure was 180 / 280...! (WTF, wow). (Only about 145/ 90 at the arm). When your blood pressure gradient is that severe, (heart chamber to arm differential), you are in danger of, "failure to depolarize", which means you simply shut off. Believe it or not, it becomes a purely electrical impulse issue.

With that said, blood pressure gradient can cause pulmonary edema, as you siphon water from red to blue blood side in your lungs, (or vice versa). And yep, caffeine can exacerbate that for sure, but it certainly wasn't causing it. I had a salty, salty pizza right before bed a couple of weeks before surgery, and when I metabolized the salt, my pressure spiked in my sleep, and I sat straight up,wide awake, heart pounding.. (The key word in that last sentence was...wait for it....SALT)!

Valve replacement doesn't sound too good. I've heard that the catheter process can be quite painful when they pull it out (They insert it in the groin, I believe?), however, I would like to go through it if it found the problem. All my problems started when my mother started complaning of a fast heart rate as well, she was later found to have a condition called "Wolf Parkinson White" Syndrome (something about late impulses to the left atrium), they found it just through an ECG, but i wasn't so lucky. I'm not a big SALT person, I like a touch on my Sunday roast, but that's about it. If i had to have a guess on what the problem is i'm having, i would almost say it feels like something eletrical...like an impulse is misfiring or something. It's gonna be one of them things that a doctor will have to catch while it's doing it on the spot...which is very difficult.

Anyway, asthma induces shortness of breath, smoking induces asthma. Hmmm.

As a Brit, exactly what are you doing drinking coffee anyway? Tea contains theophylline, which is an anti asthmatic, and a stimulant as well.

You still have to quit smoking. I'm not a "born again non smoker" either, fags still smell good to me from 50 feet away.

Why do i drink coffee?...Well, I was brought up on the stuff from my father. I like tea also (my mother tried to bring me up on tea, but it didn't stick), I just prefer my coffee, that's all. Maybe i should drink a little bit more tea though.

A fag smells a hell-of-a-lot better than it tastes, that's for sure. Also, with asthma, my brother has it...and he smokes! He keeps trying to quit though.

C8H10N4O2
heart_emo.gif

Hot on the heels of metal beans:

Puffy Sleeves Protect Your Digits From Ultra-Hot Lattes

And if you are one morning coffee drinker, well a modular toaster may be handy for as well ;)

Breakfast Made Simple: Toaster Grows With Your Family

Unlike computers, it may be slightly more future proof :grinthumb

I am not surprised at all, about the fact that people keep inventing things which no one really needs :rolleyes:

Except a car doesn't suffer heart problems when exposed to prolonged fuel intake. ;)
got some news for you;

after 37 years of drinking 4-8 cups per day (occupational hazard of a programmer),
I'm still drinking 3-5 per day (I'm on a diet now) with NO repercussions (I'f you ignore the fact that I cant have any after 5pm).

In fact, the Doc said "I wish my numbers were as good as yours"

Ed Bruns smoked a cigar every day and lived to be 99+ years old.

You can't trust the FDA as they have a vested interest in the Drug industry :(

got some news for you;

after 37 years of drinking 4-8 cups per day (occupational hazard of a programmer),
I'm still drinking 3-5 per day (I'm on a diet now) with NO repercussions (I'f you ignore the fact that I cant have any after 5pm).

In fact, the Doc said "I wish my numbers were as good as yours"

Ed Bruns smoked a cigar every day and lived to be 99+ years old.

You can't trust the FDA as they have a vested interest in the Drug industry :(

I agree that people go through things differently; some are lucky, some are not. But it wasn't just about caffine with me, other things on top made the problem worse. We all live in different situations and environments.

Being grossly unfit doesn't help, I know that.

yea, my issue is the cholesterol levels :( Just too much pasta, bread, cheese & wine :)

Back