TechSpot

Some DirectX 12 features will require next-gen graphics hardware

By Scorpus
Mar 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier in the week, at the Game Developers Conference, Microsoft unveiled DirectX 12, the next version of the company's widely-used graphics API. One major feature of DirectX 12 is lower-level abstraction; that is, game developers will have better access to...

Read more

2. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

I don't think this surprises anyone. You've always needed a graphics card with the instruction set build onto the chip in order to run them. I was thinking about picking up another GTX 680, but I'll just save the money until DX12 hardware comes out.

3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

If DX12 requires next-gen hardware I am guessing Xbox one and PS4 is out of the picture then.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,057

As per the article...
    This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12.

5. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Well it does look like a fair number of current cards will support DX 12 in part. So you will be able to play DX 12 games but not utilise all of the features.

6. wastedkill

Does 7000 series card support dx12 already??? Jesus its a bit early aint it....

Aint it that games need to be made with the chip for dx or whatever it is as I remember card makers were literally like "It is impossible to put a new dx version on a card already shipped out."

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

"This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12."

Sony PS uses OpenGL, not DX.

8. Phil spencer has confirmed on twitter that the xbox one fully support directs 12.... Just saying:)

Any guess?

spectrenad likes this.
  9. wastedkill

Ah so its not hardware limited then, so microsoft lied.

PS4 Also uses Mantle lets not forget that and they dont use DX because well its MS related and we all know microsoft arent exactly trying to help the gaming community now are they?

10. hahahanoobs

Neither console uses Mantle, and they never will. Mantle wasn't designed for consoles.

spectrenad likes this.
  11. Or maybe, just maybe, xbox one has hardware support. they have been working on directx12 for 4 years after all

12. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

No it does not, only openGL as far as I know. Mantle is strictly for the desktop party.

They have announced what cards are compatible with it, so its going to be interesting to see what features are (If any) are locked out of the compatible cards list.

13. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,913   +535

Amd said that all GCN cards support dx12. any more details on this?

14. Giody

Giody TS Rookie

Mantle ftw haha

15. wastedkill

Thats extremely unlikely!

16. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,913   +535

mantle still has the advantage here because it currently targets only 1 type of hardware and it's already out. I don't expect dx12 to offer anything other than modest <10% gains vs dx11

17. hahahanoobs

*sigh*
    "One major feature of DirectX 12 is lower-level abstraction; that is, game developers will have better access to graphics hardware with improved utilization of the CPU. THIS FEATURE will be available across nearly all CURRENT-GENERATION GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia."

18. hahahanoobs

19. wastedkill

So explain why dx12 wont be on xp/vista and consoles as well as old gpus again?

20. hahahanoobs

DX12 on XP?! Wow, just wow.
    I'll talk to you about the article, but I'm certainly not your personal assisstant. Find it yourself.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  21. wastedkill

Quit then like I care....

22. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

And in the meantime, "XII" direct-X logo rendering is still as bad as 10 years ago. :)

23. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

Are we also comparing Mantle (thats out now) to DX11, and does it have >10% gains?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Mantle doesn't work on old GPU's either. As for the old OS's, seriously lets move on. Even I know that one day I will have to except the fact that Win7 is now considered dead to MS.
    "DirectX 12 will do in 18 months what Mantle does now"

Only better! That tells me that Mantle (AMD only) will be completely replaced by DX12 (not AMD only) on Windows platform.

24. wastedkill

Thing is DX works the same way it used to it wont work on old equipment aka cards consoles are using, Mantle does look awesome...

25. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

I suppose you are right. MS will find a way to keep DX12 from working with old cards that will support some of the new features, through planned obsolescence. But then explain how Mantle is better in this aspect. Doesn't Mantle require GCN compatibility? That's not a very old standard if so.