Some files open slow (related to networking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loginn

I have this problem since the computer is connected to internet via Linksys router. When I click on .txt file, image or archive (also probably other types), it would take bettween 1 and 2 minutes to open them. When I right-click on same types to open context menu, it costs me the same long waiting. When I want to create a new file, the same. At the same time I can open run executables, open browsers and open other types in a split second. Memory and CPU usage are not going above the normal during that time of delayed response. All the above problems would disappear when I unplug the network cable or just disable the connection. There is one more computer connected to the same router without such problems. I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, malware etc. It should be a network problem but I don't know how to solve it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It does look like some malware or a buggy shell extension. A run of HJT can never hurt anyone. :)

Do you have any mapped network drives or suchlike?

Nodsu said:
It does look like some malware or a buggy shell extension. A run of HJT can never hurt anyone. :)

Do you have any mapped network drives or suchlike?

I have run hijackthis, there is nothing suspicious in the list.
I have mapped drives from anothher computer on network.

i would first disconnect the pc from the network. also i would check the task manager to see what is taking up so much resources. and last i would run a pc scan on the entire pc.

codez13579 said:
i would first disconnect the pc from the network. also i would check the task manager to see what is taking up so much resources. and last i would run a pc scan on the entire pc.

Az I wrote: "All the above problems would disappear when I unplug the network cable or just disable the connection." and "Memory and CPU usage are not going above the normal during that time of delayed response." The PC is completely scanned.
The question is, why this happens only when connected to the network?

wat os are u running?if u have windows, do a windows update. maybe there is a interferance problems with ur network N ur os.

codez13579 said:
wat os are u running?if u have windows, do a windows update. maybe there is a interferance problems with ur network N ur os.

WinXP Home with updates.

codez13579 said:

WinXP Home with updates. (Must be Windows when I write to this section of the forum)

did this problem occur from the 1st day u connected the pc to the network? if so then i would check the linksys site for advice.

u already said u have two pc on the network. one works the other do not. wat are the specs of both systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back