Some Note 7 fans refuse to return handsets as Samsung sends out fireproof recall kits

midian182

Staff member

Amid all the furor over the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, it’s worth remembering that many reviewers called the handset “the best Android smartphone ever,” when it first launched. Some owners love the Note 7 so much, they’re refusing to stop using it – even though there’s a chance it could burst into flames.

Yesterday brought the news that Samsung had finally decided to halt production and sales of the Note 7 permanently. The company advised everyone still using one to power down the handset and return it immediately.

But, as reported by CNET, consumers' loyalty to a brand can be blinding - in this case, that could mean literally. After Samsung requested that users return the smartphones, several people tweeted that they would be keeping theirs, despite the dangers.

One user, Queens resident Robinson Suarez, said he would only switch his Note 7 for a different model if he felt it was getting too hot. He’s using one of the replacement Notes, which have also been catching fire, but says he only swapped his original to get a brand new handset, not because he was worried it might explode.

"All my friends, they make fun of me, they throw memes at me on Facebook," Suarez said. "It is what it is; I'm not worried."

Samsung has now started sending out the Note 7 return kits to owners. The company isn’t taking any chances with the phones; the kits contain a static shielding bag, three boxes, and a pair of gloves.

First, the Note 7 is enclosed in the shielding bag. The bag is put inside the smallest box, which is placed inside a slightly larger box, and this is dropped into the outermost box that’s lined with ceramic fiber paper for withstanding extreme heat.

The gloves are to protect people’s hands from the ceramic fiber lining, which can cause irritation. The outer box, meanwhile, specifies that the pack is “forbidden” from being transported by aircraft, unsurprisingly.

Check out XDA Developers' YouTube video for a closer look at the Note 7 return kit.

Permalink to story.

Since the stop of production in many places second hand devices actually got higher in price than on launch date :D

I wonder if this truly affects all note 7's or only some? If it does, you're playing Korean roulette every time you answer your phone.

In as much as it has not been specifically determined if EVERY phone has the problem (since they have not yet been able to isolate the problem) there is a reasonable amount of doubt as to the necessity of return. Granted, it's foolish to temp fate, but at this point Samsung is only refunding the $$ paid and making no additional restitution for inconvenience, pain & suffering (admit it, some cannot LIVE w/o their precious phones), and avoidance of other potential liabilities for damages (never underestimate a sneaky lawyer, especially one that is hungry!). I would also be interested to hear from any Note 7 owners if they were required to sign a liability release before getting their refund? I'm betting they will or no money, which that same smart lawyer will say is an "admission of guilt" and makes them further liable (more pain & suffering).

Sort of makes you wonder why ANYONE would want to ever invent ANYTHING and sell it? Imagine the liability lawsuits that could be brought against the inventor of the wheel ...... oh, don't get me started !!!!!!!

They need to set up a program where they offer us a loaner phone until a large screen S8 becomes available or a refined Note 8. For some us there is no alternative device..and for some of us, we used our 2 yr upgrade to get this Note 7. We're not looking to get a sub-Note 7 featured device. It's simple.

I believe I read such a program is live in Singapore currently. Users are gettong their Note 7's swapped out for a loaner Galaxy J phone until Samsung resolves this issue - whether it'd be a completely redesigned Note 7 or an S8 or whatever.. point is, we're not getting an older or crappier device in exchange for our hard earned money and/or upgrade.

Not shocked to hear this at all, especially considering the failure rate hasn't been publicly shared.

Considering they don't know why it is catching fire, it's damn stupid to hang onto one.
Nvidia had a problem with it's Shield tablet catching fire, and all of them with a certain battery got recalled and replaced.
People need to realise they are risking other people's lives because of their arrogance to hang onto a phone, and they probably have other phones in a draw they could use instead!

Hehe all I could focus in was his scolding hot hands, or burnt house with him suing Samsung, muricans right?

Considering they don't know why it is catching fire, it's damn stupid to hang onto one.
Nvidia had a problem with it's Shield tablet catching fire, and all of them with a certain battery got recalled and replaced.
People need to realise they are risking other people's lives because of their arrogance to hang onto a phone, and they probably have other phones in a draw they could use instead!

This is an excellent point I'm sure many people don't think about. Who ever leaves their phone unattended when they are charging it? What about after was charged? I think if these people have the opportunity to return the device and refuse to take it, they should be responsible for damages (and possibly even death) caused if the phone catches fire.

Next thing we'll hear in the news is an entire complex burns down and a few people were killed, the cause... one of these phones where the owner refused to return it.

If I'd bought one I'd also probably hang onto it. Not each and every one will detonate... I hope. And who knows, a few years from now they might even go on to become collectors editions and sell for a fortune whereas nobody will give you a dime for your iPhone 7 then.

I'm with the collective few in waiting to return my device. Currently there is no reason to believe that all of the handsets are defective until the cause is found.

I also am in a predicament where I've now been locked into a 2year contract with the carrier and neither AT&T or Samsung are willing to let me out of it I'd imagine. Everyone that upgraded is basically screwed into settling for an s7 or lesser device.

I can say the device is really hands down the best phone on the market, even with this whole fiasco.

I'm holding out for them to offer something other than just returning the handset and settling.

I'm with the collective few in waiting to return my device. Currently there is no reason to believe that all of the handsets are defective until the cause is found.

I also am in a predicament where I've now been locked into a 2year contract with the carrier and neither AT&T or Samsung are willing to let me out of it I'd imagine. Everyone that upgraded is basically screwed into settling for an s7 or lesser device.

I can say the device is really hands down the best phone on the market, even with this whole fiasco.

I'm holding out for them to offer something other than just returning the handset and settling.

I hope you have home and car insurance.

I see no problem. Just don't expect to be allowed to take it on commercial airliners etc.
If an entire complex burns down because of the phone I think there are bigger problems than just the phone, like shoddy construction, poor fire laws etc. For example you can legally smoke, I'd worry a lot more about drunken fall asleep smokers etc than the phones. Candles, there are so many ways where you live can burst into flames I'm not too worried about this one.

Real simple...if they don't return them, Samsung will just have the carriers, drop the IEMI numbers and the phones won't work on any network. Five bucks they end up doing that.

can you open it up and put in an aftermarket battery? or is it something else along with the battery that is causing this?

[/QUOTE]can you open it up and put in an aftermarket battery? or is it something else along with the battery that is causing this?[/QUOTE]

Nope, check out the iFixit. Can't do it without destroying the phone.

Must be those who bragged and bought it the first day. Ego is an annoying and destructive chracter.

Just don't board the plane with the f*cking Note 7. On or Off.

Back