Some problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

}{yBr!D^

Well, I was working on a clients machine that didn't turn on... figured it was the PSU... connected the PSU to my PC and it didn't turn on either... so it was determind that the PSU was dead. Got the client a new 450W PSU... hooked it up and everything ran good with his old OS installed... no problems... after I rebooted the PC stayed on a black screen with the curser blinking (after the "Windows XP" loading screen).

I've noticed after you turn off the computer completely it'll boot up regularly... if rebooted it'll stay on that black screen... could the motherboard suffered damages as a result of the dead PSU, or could it be another component mal-functioning...? I've worked on this machine before and it didn't have problems so I'm trying to draw a conclusion... it woud be best for the client to keep the HDD, PSU, CD-RW/CD-ROM, Case and floppy and just get an upgraded motherboard, CPU and RAM... (new pc w00t) let me know!

Did memtest.. left isover night and till I got home from work (total of 20+ hrs) and about 41 passes... no errors found... any other ideas?

I think that if the motherboard was damaged it wouldn't boot up at all. Try unplugging the power cord, remove the cmos battery, reseat the memory and video card, put the battery and power cord back and reboot.

Well, after I removed all that was mentioned above (minus the video card since its onboard) the machine booted up normally... after a test reboot the machine yet again stayed on that black screen. After unplugging the power cord and leaving the PC off for a while... booted up and it was fine...

As of right now the machine is running good even on reboots due to updating XP (as it seems)

At first I formatted the PC considering that XP was damaged due to some power lose or such.... obviously that wasn't it since I could barely finish the installation of a new XP. SO, I don't understand what it is... only other thing I can think of is the new PSU... since the old one didn't turn on the PC I don't know if this problem happen before the new PSU install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back