some programs seem to be taking extra time to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPN

Windows XP.....Recently some programs seem to be taking much longer to load, once loaded, if I close and return later, they load very quickly. Should not be a memory problem with a GB of RAM installed and processor is Intel 1.8 Ghz. Start menu is almost empty, and nothing unusual running in the background that I can see.
WPN

When did you do your last "Spring Cleaning" on that PC?
Empty the Recycle Bin, your temp. internet files, your Temp directory, run Chkdsk and Defrag.

Your HD is clogged up, not your memory (your PC's I mean)

defrag etc done.....cookies, history etc done daily. HD less than 30% filled. Updates from MS up to date.

Once a program has been loaded and quit again, the next time is always faster, because parts are still in memory.

Do you still have that problem?
Have you by any chance installed Norton AV or IS? They are known memory- and resource-hoggers. The only way to overcome Norton's sluggishness is to completely uninstall it and replace it with more sensible software (e.g. McAfee).

Norton might be the problem as I noticed a few live update's ago that something was different with the system, but then it seemed to correct itself. I did not find that McAfee worked as well when I had it.

McAfee's latest has been greatly improved compared to previous versions. However it is always your choice, what you install on your PC.

But Norton is definitely your slow-downer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back