Some URLs time out. Most aspx pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuffdone

I have had a major problem accessing banking sites recently. This is not related to specific browser because I have tried them all on two computers both running Win2K.

I can log in with my user name and password ok. However when I then click a link to a banking feature such as to view statements etc. the page never loads and after a long wait I just get a "page cannot be loaded" ( IE ) Or in Firefox is says "Connection to Server was reset"

I am using Comcast Cable Modem. A Linksys 8 port router. Two computers connected via KVM plus network printer, VoIP phone and a linux backup server.

All networking is functional. I have tried with AntiVirus and Firewalls on and off with no difference. The problem progressed from blocking me from my Comcast account to WaMu bank and now to another bank. Most of my credit card accounts online seem to work ok but I think most use linux servers.

Most of these cases the page extension seems to be .aspx extensions that will not load.

I have 128 bit encryption turned on in all browsers. Have tried IE 6+, Firefox 3, Netscape, Safari, Opra, Flock, and SeaMonkey. Not one browser will allow me to follow the links in question.

This is getting serious because it affects my online banking.

Try CCleaner to remove all your temp cache stuff

Actually back up (remember all your login names and passswords) and try this (just for IE) The way I look at it, is get IE to work first (as default), then worry about the others. (and network and other things) I have to explain this, don't know why

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Did it. IE 6 not 7

Using IE 6.0.2800.1106

Have never found a version 7 for Windows 2000.
Did the reset ( Restore Defaults ) but makes no difference.

Oh 2000

If you are running Windows 2000 and wish to upgrade to 128-bit encryption, you must download the Windows 2000 High Encryption Pack. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/encryption

Also found: Internet Explorer 7 will not run on Windows 2000

So that's clear!

I have 128 bit encryption turned on in all browsers
Ok so that's done!

Try: (at the command prompt, also pressing enter after each line)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

Also try with your firewall off (we won't worry about widows firewall :rolleyes: )

No luck

The net start command was not recognized at all. Tried net start, netstart, net_start all with same results.

net stop/start

Ok. I read and it worked re. starting and stopping. However did nothing to resolve the problem. ( syntax issue )

Doh! Mine says : The command completed with one or more errors.

But Administrator account had guest next to it

Anyway, we might be going down the wrong path

To fully confirm all files are intact, you could run this:

sfc /scannow

at the command prompt
Actually does that work in 2000?

Does no good

That just pops up a window asking for my SP4 CD. SP4 is all automatic updates downloaded. There is and never was a CD.

Yes but it will only "pop up" if there are issues (missing or non verified) system files on your system.

I wonder if it's best to backup, and think about re-install
Is this too extreme?

reinstall very problamatic

I really don't want to re-install because of all the programs I use and the fact that it could take me down for a day to do.

That also does not explain two separate computers with the identical problem.

I could re-install on the second computer I suppose as it is a backup.

Biggest problem with re-install is most of my program disks are still boxed in storage from my move.

Would be a major undertaking without knowing if it would even solve the problem.

I find it difficult to understand why this would be happening, mostly with web sites running ASP pages but not others.

2 computers?

A Linksys 8 port router. Two computers connected via KVM plus network printer,
No original message about both computers doing the same thing.

Why have I posted support on one computer?

You will need to plug one in at a time to the router
Still the same?
This must be either a Router or Internet Server issue
Have you spoken to your provider? (Maybe you have a web spam service going on)

ISP

No original message about both computers doing the same thing.

Why have I posted support on one computer? ( huh ? )

You will need to plug one in at a time to the router
Still the same?
This must be either a Router or Internet Server issue
Have you spoken to your provider? (Maybe you have a web spam service going on)

Actually it was my ISP's web site that first presented the problem. I spoke to advanced support at Comcast and they just say it has to be my problem.

When I get a break I will try taking the router out of the stream to see what happens.

Try researching on cookies, their permissions, and the hosts file. Deleting and rebuilding your access permission cookies might help.

On the other hand, it could be changes to the whole way in which TCPIP is handled has changed and the changes have not filtered down to 2K. I noticed in fact that MS critical update of July 08 Windows Update (KB951748) = No internet for lots of people. Viewing the update description on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748 tells you that very, very significant changes to fundamental bits of DNS handling have taken place recently, and lo ! there are updates for Win2K too !

try these tests to separate TCP issues from Browser, Website issues.

PING will show you can talk tcp and NSLOOKUP will tell you if a URL can be translated
properly into the corresponding IP address.

IF both PING and NSLOOKUP are running w/o timeouts, then it's in your browser or system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back