some web pages won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Certain pages refuse to load at all, whilst others load perfectly. And its not always the same pages that present the problem, it's driving me crazy- about one in three pages won't load anymore. I've never altered the security settings, this just started happening spontaneously on IE.

Steps I've taken:
-Downloaded Firefox- get the same result as on IE
-Restored internet explorer settings to default
-Restored computer to an earlier date- successful restore, but made no difference
-Downloaded Spybot (and paid for it), full scan, removed 13 "parasites"- made no difference
-Downloaded Hijack This

I've seen a few other threads like this, and it seems that you guys are able to see whats wrong from the HJT file, so mine is attatched at the end.

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm basically out of ideas and its really frustrating.

Fingers crossed,

Rob

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You have purchased Spywarebot rather than the free and highly recommended Spybot search & Destroy.

I suggest you uninstall Spywarebot from add remove programmes. The programme is of dubious repute.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly. Note: Because you`re running Vista, not all tools and programmes may work. If this happens, just continue with the next intruction in the list.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of robbyraven only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi Howard,

I followed the steps in your guide, it took a while as my internet is playing up so much!

Combofix wouldn't work on Vista

Antirootkit found no problems.

Any ideas? If not, should I just re-format?

Many thanks,

Rob

Your logs look clean, apart from the fact that you still haven`t got rid of Spywarebot, which I urge you to do.

The tracking cookies in your AVG Antispyware log all say No Action Taken. This is because you didn`t follow the instructions properly for AVG Antispyware.

I can`t see anything in your logfiles that would account for your problem.

Perhaps a reformat and reinstall would help, but I can`t say for sure.

Please let us know.

Regards Howard :)

Certain pages refuse to load at all, whilst others load perfectly. And its not always the same pages that present the problem, it's driving me crazy- about one in three pages won't load anymore. I've never altered the security settings, this just started happening spontaneously on IE.

Steps I've taken:
-Downloaded Firefox- get the same result as on IE

Did you mess with any registry or about:config ( for firefox )?

It would sometimes do that if you didn't know what you were typing when you put in the numbers and stuff

Hi guys,

No, i haven't been messing with the registry. For once I actually didn't do anything to cause the problem, it was truly spontanaeous.

Anyway, I just did a full re-format and re-install of windows, and got exactly the same problem! I couldn't believe it. I did a few more searches and figured maybe the DNS settings were wrong? So I went into network settings, then TCP/IP properties, and changed the setting from 'obtain DNS automatically' to 'obtain DNS from the address' (primary) 192.169.1.1, alternative, 4.2.2.2.
And (fingers crossed) it seems to work,but I only did this a few minutes ago, so we'll see if the problem returns. Sucks that I re-formatted! never mind, got a clean slate now.

Do you think these addresses are suitable? Also, can you recommend which free software I should use to protect the computer? There are so many, and I like to keep software to a minimum, so if you can tell me what you'd use for a newly formatted computer, that would be great. It's running Vista, with 90 days trial of Bullguard, and the windows firewall.

thanks for all your help and time, it means a lot to those of us who need help occasionally!

Rob

PS Howard- thanks for the heads up on spywarebot, I got a refund. They're sneaky- if you google 'search and destroy', looking for the free one, these guys are top of the list. They scan your system, then demand $$$.

robby, I have a firm belief that any anti-virus program that tricks an installing the shows infections could be faking then to get some of your hard earned money. Same with registry repairers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back