Someone explain L2 cache!

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

OK----yes I am a newbie with computers but I learn fast....promise!

I want to ditch the celeron for a P4 but confusion is setting in. (See my other post)

I know I need 533 fsb but when it comes to L2 cache I am confused about the 1024kb or 512 or 256?

Does this info matter? If I'm not mistaken the celeron has 256 L2, would theh larger 512 or 1024 work. And what is prescott versus northwood?

In simple terms, the L2 cache is a special area of high speed memory that the system can use for accessing the most commonly used data. Celeron CPUs tend to have very low L2 cache, which is the main reason they are so much slower than a pentium at the same clock speed.

Motherboards tend to specify what "socket" and what "fsb" it supports, but not how much L2 cache your CPU can have. The best way to confirm that your CPU you want to upgrade to will be compatible is to check your motherboard maker's website. Most of the companies have an list of supported CPUs that have been tested and work on that motherboard.

Prescott and Northwood are CPU "core" nicknames. When Intel comes up with a new technology for their CPUs, they give it a new name to distinguish it from other CPUs. The prescott is newer than the Northwood lineup, and typically has higher L2 cache (as one example of their differences).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back