Someone has created a PC Building Simulator game

Scorpus

Staff member

Have you ever wanted to feel that sweet success of building a new gaming PC without actually building a new gaming PC? Then PC Building Simulator might be the virtual PC building experience you're after.

As spotted by Rock, Paper, Shotgun, PC Building Simulator is a pre-alpha game currently in development by a single Romanian developer known as Claudiu. You can currently grab the game through a pay-what-you-want system with no minimum amount on Itch.io, and give the "scrappy" game a go.

The game is in early stages of development, so it's pretty basic right now. However it does provide a way to build a PC from the case up, inserting a range of components and cables as you see fit. The game won't present much of a challenge to experienced builders in its current state, but Claudiu does say the purpose of the game is more to "teach people about building PCs while still having fun."

Claudiu is planning to implement a career mode in the future, as well as a ton more features. With some work and support from the gaming community, there's a chance PC Building Simulator could be a fun and niche puzzle game for hardware enthusiasts.

Permalink to story.

Haha thats a really neat idea actually
he could get sponsored by some big name brands having their hardware show up in game

should be a AAA game really running some unreal quality engine letting you set up all the cable colors water cooling options and what not...like something that could result in a life like image at the end

This could be a great (though short) teaching tool for people building their own PCs. Even better if Name brands could provide accurate 3D mockups of their hardware, which would be amazing for prefitting parts to a case (if the case mockup was also accurate).

This could actually be incredibly if developed correctly. For instance:

1. Acquire licensed products (cases, hardware)
2. Add in 1:1 models and wiring capability.
3. Add collision meshes for wires and hardware
4. Add algorithm that optimizes wire routes
5. Sell game licenses for $300 a pop.

They're sitting on a gold mine.

I'd team up with 3DMark and several brands as sponsors and make yourself a sweet 3D benchmark with realistic models to simulate a PC build while capable of bench-marking your current rig (with the ability to order the parts you build in the benchmark) - lots of buy in and easy money for the vendors. I'll take my paycheck now, Intel/NVIDIA/ASUS...

So I build a PC on this simulator, then turn it on and run the simulator on my simulated PC. Cool!

So new hardware isn't going to release as DLC is it? You know like being able to buy the Volta pack for $7.99?

This idea is pretty amazing. at face value its kinda wtf... but when you start thinking about the possibilities for training and part selection... whee!
just makes me think about trying to get the 8 pin power to reach behind the mobo and its just short by centimeters because of the length of the cable or the routing options of the chassis...

don't plug in that floppy drive upside down!
was that Zip drive set to slave?
why is the power LED not lighting up?
lol

This idea is pretty amazing. at face value its kinda wtf... but when you start thinking about the possibilities for training and part selection... whee!
just makes me think about trying to get the 8 pin power to reach behind the mobo and its just short by centimeters because of the length of the cable or the routing options of the chassis...

lol

Its only a good training tool if it bends a pin on Ryzen, or if you forget to ground yourself and cook the i7. Oh, and don't forget the faulty PSU that cooks the whole thing!

Yep, I will give it an ok if all you can accomplish is make the internal speaker go BEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP.

lol

Its only a good training tool if it bends a pin on Ryzen, or if you forget to ground yourself and cook the i7. Oh, and don't forget the faulty PSU that cooks the whole thing!

Yep, I will give it an ok if all you can accomplish is make the internal speaker go BEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP.

Exactly though - use an evolved version of it as a way to test and certify students. Set up custom scenarios where they need to diagnose what is wrong, identify and implement a solution.

Have a set of requirements and get them to build a machine to spec. (things like airflow, cable mgmt and what not all simulated and rated)

As I wrote in another post somewhere about this; mini-game applying CPU thermal paste using different methods and comparing results.

Perhaps you could even take it as far as booting up a VM shell to get as far as BIOS to open up the possibilities for further scenarios.

The hardest one to simulate though I reckon would be....that awful feeling you get when you can smell the smoke coming from somewhere.....

lol

Exactly though - use an evolved version of it as a way to test and certify students. Set up custom scenarios where they need to diagnose what is wrong, identify and implement a solution.

Have a set of requirements and get them to build a machine to spec. (things like airflow, cable mgmt and what not all simulated and rated)

As I wrote in another post somewhere about this; mini-game applying CPU thermal paste using different methods and comparing results.

Perhaps you could even take it as far as booting up a VM shell to get as far as BIOS to open up the possibilities for further scenarios.

The hardest one to simulate though I reckon would be....that awful feeling you get when you can smell the smoke coming from somewhere.....
Yeah, that stuff smells like burning money. Awww, you ley out the magic smoke. It'll never work right now. :(

Back