Someones stealing my Wi-Fi, and maybe more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative_Pulse

First off, im sorry if this has been covered already but after using the search and going through pages of posts i have'nt found what im looking for.

The problem, i have a D-Link DI-524 router, its connected to 1 computer via wired cable. I have no wireless devices im using, yet the wireless status led on the router is constantly flashing. Im sure someone is connected to me and using my internet. Can i possibly find out what they are doing on my connection, can they do something like this to me?!? I shop online, i use my CC, is there any danger of them gaining access to my CC number??? Im really worried about having such an open connection, i dont want anyone to gain access to my computer and make changes to my desktop or the router itself! BTW, my CC number has been stolen, twice in the last few months.

I dont have the manual for the router at this time, still searching for it so i dont know what to do to set it up, or even how to connect to the router to set it up.

Please any and all help would be appreciated!!!!!

From here - http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-home-networks-1.htm

Top 10 Security Tips for Home Wi-Fi Networks

1.Change your router's access name and password.

2.Don't let users piggyback onto your Wi-Fi net -- turn off peer-to-peer connections.

3.Stop broadcasting your router's network ID.

4.Approve all wireless network users in advance.

5.Turn on wireless data encryption.

6.Periodically check router logs for rogue users.

7.Use a strong firewall.

8.Password-protect your computers and files.

9.Put your wireless network on its own subnet.

10.Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use.

Peddant said:
9.Put your wireless network on its own subnet.

Sorry but how do you put your wireless network on its own subnet (subnet mask)?

I can't seem to find any option regarding on this issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back