Something eating up HD space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

I realize that Howard can't fix everything, everywhere, all the time, the man has saved me (With help from friends) over the last 48 hours, but my main C drive has something wrong where files or junk is being written to it somehow to fill it up. Two days ago I had 11 GB on my C drive ad now I have 1. I ran chkdsk but I can't perform the repair feature, do I need a Windows disk to do that or be on as an admin?

Also, how would I go about re-joining a partition? MY C drive is an 80 GB drive, which I partioned off 20 gb for backup stuff a year ago and never used it. Can I rejoin them somehow in Windows or do I need to do something in DOS? Does Partion magic or any of those programs do anything like this? I know y'all are the best so someone has to have SOME kind of advice for me...both problems are pretty huge to me since I wanna install stuff soon so...plz...help!!

Type WindowKey+R, then type in "cmd" and press enter. On the commandline type in the following one line at a time followed by enter/return:

del /F /S /Q %tmp%
del /F /S /Q %windir%\Temp\
del /F /S /Q %windir%\Prefetch\
dir %tmp%
dir %windir%\Temp

The last two just show you what the contents of the temporary folders are after, so you can see if any of them didn't get deleted.

Thanx I'll give it a shot real quick and let cha know, anything else I should do? Also is there a possiblity that is what was eating up my HD and can I get that space BACK without a format?

Have you installed anything in the past few days? Also, you can use certain programs to break the partition into one, although I don't know of any off-hand (best to start another thread dedicated to that).

What I wrote before will only remove the files in your temporary folders and there might be other stuff on your HDD taking up space.

Download TreeSize from here and install it. I will show the folders on your HDD in a treeview where you can see size of the folders (very useful). If any of them seems abnormally large, locate the folder and check the contents of it.

I ran a dskchk and did those lines you told me to and ow I'm missing a lot of Windows in general! I am missing dll's to run programs. I dont have HALF the stuff in my Control Panel, what did that stuff delete? Either way I'm screwed hard now I thin I need to find a WIndows CD and refomat or recover somehow...

Bark4Soul said:
I ran a dskchk and did those lines you told me to and ow I'm missing a lot of Windows in general! I am missing dll's to run programs. I dont have HALF the stuff in my Control Panel, what did that stuff delete? Either way I'm screwed hard now I thin I need to find a WIndows CD and refomat or recover somehow...

It seems that now, the best thing to do is format. Hopefully when you recover from this issue, you won't have any problems like this :) . Back up any important files and data on discs.

Find that XP install disc Bark4Soul. You may have to break down and buy another one. It doesn't matter if your system is store bought or home built

Just to clarify: Typing in:
del /F /S /Q %tmp%
del /F /S /Q %windir%\Temp\
del /F /S /Q %windir%\Prefetch\
dir %tmp%
dir %windir%\Temp
Does not delete important system files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back