Something's using my internet bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

Hey, guys.

I've got a 256kb DSL line and something's using 40-80 of my kb's :( for some reason. It's just in the last week that I've noticed it, and I know that it wasn't happening as little as three weeks ago.

I first tried turning off WeatherEye and Dad, but that didn't help. Then I scanned my computer with AVG, but my it was clean. So I opened Task Manager to see what was using all my bandwidth. "CLI.exe" and "System" were using some CPU power, so I suspect it's one of those, but I don't know what either one does.

Oh yeah, and I have Windows XP Home.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated. It isn't a horrible problem, but it makes Halo llaaggg.

EDIT:
Okay, I found out what CLI.exe is. It's ATI Catalyst Control Centre, so I doubt that's what's causing the problem.

Thats exactly whats wrong with my dad's comp. I installed Zone Alarm and it said instantly 'A new internet connection has been found.' So I blocked it and got 9000 Attempts to regain the internet.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

It is probably a trojan that has been run on your system allowing people to place FTP servers, etc. on there without your knowledge. Your best bet is to get a good firewall monitor to help protect you from these sorts of things.

get a copy of cports.exe

it will monitor all open ports and tell you which programs have opened them.

sometimes we forget that we have allowed Auto-Updates which require bandwidth.
personally, I try to avoid as many of these as possible --
just how many updates to Java, Quicktime, iTunes do we expect each week?
my AV and firewall updates are the ones I usually keep.

You all should open up a terminal:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> Enter

and type netstat -o

This will show all open network connections. It will give a clue as to what's eating all this bandwidth. Of particular interest will be the PID column. This Process ID can be matched to a process listed in the Task Manager.

To see PIDs in Task Manager:

Right-click the taskbar -> Click Task Manager -> Click Processes tab -> Click View -> Click Select Columns -> Check PID -> Click OK

Lettuce know what you find. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back