Something's using my internet bandwidth

By Envergure
Jun 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, guys.

I've got a 256kb DSL line and something's using 40-80 of my kb's :( for some reason. It's just in the last week that I've noticed it, and I know that it wasn't happening as little as three weeks ago.

I first tried turning off WeatherEye and Dad, but that didn't help. Then I scanned my computer with AVG, but my it was clean. So I opened Task Manager to see what was using all my bandwidth. "CLI.exe" and "System" were using some CPU power, so I suspect it's one of those, but I don't know what either one does.

Oh yeah, and I have Windows XP Home.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated. It isn't a horrible problem, but it makes Halo llaaggg.

EDIT:
    Okay, I found out what CLI.exe is. It's ATI Catalyst Control Centre, so I doubt that's what's causing the problem.
  2. leadpill924

leadpill924 Banned Posts: 124

Thats exactly whats wrong with my dad's comp. I installed Zone Alarm and it said instantly 'A new internet connection has been found.' So I blocked it and got 9000 Attempts to regain the internet.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

It is probably a trojan that has been run on your system allowing people to place FTP servers, etc. on there without your knowledge. Your best bet is to get a good firewall monitor to help protect you from these sorts of things.
  4. Envergure

Envergure TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 154

That could be. If it is a trojan how do I get rid of it?
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log an attachment.

Regards Howard :)
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,340   +294

get a copy of cports.exe

it will monitor all open ports and tell you which programs have opened them.

sometimes we forget that we have allowed Auto-Updates which require bandwidth.
    personally, I try to avoid as many of these as possible --
    just how many updates to Java, Quicktime, iTunes do we expect each week?
    my AV and firewall updates are the ones I usually keep.
  7. tihirahi

tihirahi Newcomer, in training

I'm getting the same problem, did you find an answer to this eventually?
  8. freemont

freemont Newcomer, in training Posts: 20

You all should open up a terminal:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> Enter

and type netstat -o

This will show all open network connections. It will give a clue as to what's eating all this bandwidth. Of particular interest will be the PID column. This Process ID can be matched to a process listed in the Task Manager.

To see PIDs in Task Manager:

Right-click the taskbar -> Click Task Manager -> Click Processes tab -> Click View -> Click Select Columns -> Check PID -> Click OK

Lettuce know what you find. ;-)
  9. Envergure

Envergure TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 154

I never found out what's wrong, but I haven't had a problem since I got my new comp.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.