Sony announces trio of Xperia X smartphones at MWC 2016

Jos

Staff

Sony has announced three new Xperia phones at MWC 2016 that are set to compete in the all important mid-range segment. Launched as part of the new Xperia X family, the Xperia X, Xperia XA and Xperia X Performance all feature the same premium-feeling construction and rounded glass fronts, with different spec variations under the hood to accommodate for different budgets.

The cheapest of the bunch is the XA with a MediaTek MT6755 processor, 5-inch 720p display, 2,300 mAh battery and 16GB of internal storage. You do get 2GB RAM and 13MP/8MP cameras, though, along a near bezel free design.

The standard Xperia X gets bumped to a Snapdragon 650 processor with 3GB of RAM, 1080 display, 2,700 mAh battery and 32GB of storage, while the X Performance uses Qualcomm’s top-end Snapdragon 820 instead.

The latter two also feature several camera upgrades, including a 13-megapixel front-facing camera and the same 23-megapixel rear camera as in the Z5. But the most interesting new camera feature is something called Predictive Hybrid Autofocus, which Sony claims will be able to track moving objects and predict where they will go, adjusting the focus on the fly to capture fast movement without any blur.

The phones will launch in four colors including white, black, gold and rose gold this summer. Sony did not mention release dates or prices during the event. You can watch the announcement in the video embeded below.

Permalink to story.

Would be nice if companies employed marketing people who are able to competently name products so an average consumer can understand where the phone stands in the product line up.

Maybe 5 years from now they have made some progress and I can finally buy a new phone. Have Z1 and everything works great, can't see any reason to upgrade other than battery and even then I will probably buy the oldest model available as price is low and it has all I need. Removable battery would be great but I get that they couldn't sell new phones then as only reason to upgrade is to get fresh battery.

Back