Sony confirms PlayStation 4 game recording is free for everyone

Scorpus

Staff member

sony playstation microsoft console ps4 playstation 4 xbox one game dvr playstation plus

Sony's game recording, streaming and sharing service on the PlayStation 4 will be free for anyone to use, as the company confirmed that the feature is available regardless of whether you've purchased a PlayStation Plus subscription. This contrasts to recent revelations that the Xbox One's Game DVR feature, which is similar to Sony's feature on the PlayStation 4, is only available for those with an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida was asked by fans on Twitter if the game recording feature on the PS4 would require a PlayStation Plus subscription, to which he simply stated "no". Later he elaborated that the functionality would be available for "all" users, similar to media streaming features on the console.

The PlayStation 4's game recording feature will allow anyone to capture up to 15 minutes of footage - longer than the Xbox One's five minute limitation - which can then be shared with others. The console also comes with a feature where users can share their gameplay stream with a friend, and when things become tough the friend can take control to give assistance.

While many of the PlayStation 4's features will be free to use without a PlayStation Plus subscription, for the first time in PlayStation history the console will require you to pay for online multiplayer. Microsoft has required users have an Xbox Live Gold subcription for online multiplayer since the Xbox 360 was launched, while the PlayStation 3's multiplayer was free. Now Sony is set to charge for the feature too.

Despite the various differences between the two upcoming consoles, people are flocking to pre-order them at retailers so they can be guaranteed one for the holiday season. Many places have already sold out of day-one units, so come launch day finding an Xbox One or PlayStation 4 on the shelves might be a hard task.

Permalink to story.

Seems like every time Microsoft post something about xBONE..PlayStation post the same **** only that they are better. it's becoming rather annoying.

Because....at this point in the game...they ARE better. It's only annoying if your an xBONE fan boy. It's just makes people who have already decided to purchase a PS4 that much more confident about their decision. And people who have sacrificed their first born to Bill Gates less confident in their decision to go with a company who flips off their customers when they speak. Microsoft showed they don't care about their customers by ignoring all the feedback they received on Windows 8. Sony is capitalizing on Microsoft's stupidity. It's simply a smart business move. Microsoft has shown they have no moral sense of customer loyalty. I will show them the same thing in return.

IF I ever decide to buy a gaming console it will be a PS4. IF I ever decide to buy a tablet(never have yet as PC is my first love) with a *PUKE* touch-interface it will be a Google Nexus 10 or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Why have I made these decisions in advance? Well, because the two products I would favor in a purchase are excellent products. But when two products are, for the most part, equal how do you make the final decision? Go with the company who hasn't thrown me under the bus in the blink of an eye. Microsoft's Windows 8 "punishment" is going to affect more than just their future Windows operating system sales as far as I am concerned.

The news didn't annoy me. I chuckled when I seen the headline. Sony keeps on kicking Microsoft in the ribs while they are down. It's funny.

Because....at this point in the game...they ARE better. It's only annoying if your an xBONE fan boy. It's just makes people who have already decided to purchase a PS4 that much more confident about their decision. And people who have sacrificed their first born to Bill Gates less confident in their decision to go with a company who flips off their customers when they speak. Microsoft showed they don't care about their customers by ignoring all the feedback they received on Windows 8. .

Bill Gates hasn't worked at Microsoft for years.

MS did listen to the feedback about Windows 8, it's called Windows 8.1.

As for which is 'better' the PS4 or the XB1, that's a) a matter of preference and b) really hard to form an opinion on considering they're not for sale yet.

Do you know what's even more annoying than Sony's immediate responses to the Xbox's perceived shortcomings? Debates about which system is 'better' when no one has yet played with either.

MilwaukeeMike It'll only get worse once people start taking deliveries. 98% of console gamers can't be satisfied with their system until they can jump online at every opportunity and proclaim "mine's better!" The 2% who've matured past 5 years old either don't give a fudge and simply enjoy their games or don't buy the things to begin with.

Because....at this point in the game...they ARE better. It's only annoying if your an xBONE fan boy. It's just makes people who have already decided to purchase a PS4 that much more confident about their decision. And people who have sacrificed their first born to Bill Gates less confident in their decision to go with a company who flips off their customers when they speak. Microsoft showed they don't care about their customers by ignoring all the feedback they received on Windows 8. .

Where is the start menu then? And why is Metro interface everywhere? Did they give the option to choose between desktop and tablet interface?

Last time they listened to consumers, they made Windows 7.

Really glad they're not requiring PS+. Although I'd rather have them announce that they'll somehow support external capture cards, like xBox One is.
videogamerecording.com
Sony haven't announced anything yet, I bet you won't have to hold your breath for long though until they also pipe up saying recording gameplay is fine. Also, to play multiplayer games on the PS4 does require a PS+ but everything else is all free.

Wait a second here! I feel as if this opinion was created without even trying Windows 8.1? It's free to try at the moment buddy, I would seriously suggest downloading it and trying it out, I think you'll be surprised how little they've changed for a 2.5GB update...

As for which is 'better' the PS4 or the XB1, that's a) a matter of preference and b) really hard to form an opinion on considering they're not for sale yet.
Do you know what's even more annoying than Sony's immediate responses to the Xbox's perceived shortcomings? Debates about which system is 'better' when no one has yet played with either.
Preference agreed, But there are lots of gaming conventions and shows going on before the consoles officially release, I've got a ticket for September, I'll be able to form a proper opinion then.

Here's a cigar for you for pointing out that Bill Gates no longer is working at Microsoft. Because I didn't know that. Seriously, I didn't. *cough, cough*

*TheBigFatClown hands you a cigar for your humanitarian efforts*

I consider the words Microsoft and Bill Gates interchangeable terms. I guess that went over your head.

Sorry, if I formed my opinion based upon known features and involved companies past track records. Fact is people make lots of purchasing decision based upon specs alone. I don't believe in the motto, "try it you'll like it" like you obviously do. I can look at the feature set of a product and know whether it's something I want or not. I did this when making my decision about using Windows 8. I don't really give a damn how many improvements were made to the engine. I will not use a gay purple touch-centric interface. I cannot "tolerate" being brought down to the level of a chimpanzee UI. Many people obviously don't mind. Still using Windows 7 Ultimate and will be until the day I die, or Microsoft "really" listens to consumers and gives us what we want. Microsoft is free to make that decision. It's no skin off my back. So, if it "annoys" you that I have the intelligence to make a purchasing decision based upon specs and features alone....oh well. That's your problem, not mine.

Seems like every time Microsoft post something about xBONE..PlayStation post the same **** only that they are better. it's becoming rather annoying.

Because....at this point in the game...they ARE better. It's only annoying if your an xBONE fan boy. It's just makes people who have already decided to purchase a PS4 that much more confident about their decision. And people who have sacrificed their first born to Bill Gates less confident in their decision to go with a company who flips off their customers when they speak. Microsoft showed they don't care about their customers by ignoring all the feedback they received on Windows 8. Sony is capitalizing on Microsoft's stupidity. It's simply a smart business move. Microsoft has shown they have no moral sense of customer loyalty. I will show them the same thing in return.

IF I ever decide to buy a gaming console it will be a PS4. IF I ever decide to buy a tablet(never have yet as PC is my first love) with a *PUKE* touch-interface it will be a Google Nexus 10 or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Why have I made these decisions in advance? Well, because the two products I would favor in a purchase are excellent products. But when two products are, for the most part, equal how do you make the final decision? Go with the company who hasn't thrown me under the bus in the blink of an eye. Microsoft's Windows 8 "punishment" is going to affect more than just their future Windows operating system sales as far as I am concerned.

The news didn't annoy me. I chuckled when I seen the headline. Sony keeps on kicking Microsoft in the ribs while they are down. It's funny.

No, they aren't better and it is annoying. Sony is like the desperate person standing in the crowd jumping up and down trying to get noticed yelling "Look at me....we do that too!!!" They can't think for themselves or do anything original, all they do is follow MS and release the same news MS does.

No, they aren't better and it is annoying. Sony is like the desperate person standing in the crowd jumping up and down trying to get noticed yelling "Look at me....we do that too!!!" They can't think for themselves or do anything original, all they do is follow MS and release the same news MS does.

Correct me if I am wrong here but Sony is not releasing the "same" news. Sony is releasing "different" news to show a deep contrast between their console and their competitors. And it's working. It's what all competitors do in business. Microsoft wants to charge people for recording their own gameplay videos...are you freakin kidding me??? That feature has been "FREE" for years on the flippin PC and now you wanna charge people for it? LOL. Get real.

If in your own head you think that XBox One is the "better" console, go for it. No skin off my back.

If windows 8.1 is the response to our complains then they are just full of **** and will not be able to survive the decade as a company.
They added a "start button" because we asked them... they are just insulting us and stuff like this should not be tolerated. .We did not ask for a button that takes to the same metro that everybody avoids.
They did so good with the battery and other small things only to make us bleed tears of blood when we try to use metro on a desktop or laptop with no touchscreen.
No opened file history for the applications you work on (like the start menu used to have), no windowed apps, it is almost next to impossible to find the options to turn off hot-corners and boot to desktop unless you watch a tutorial. Is it that hard to resolve the real problems windows 8 has? Ask any big IT company or respectable person and they will tell you that MS has mad huge mistakes and they continue to ignore them.

As for the xbox. it will most likely be usable only in big countries like the US and the UK (maybe Germany latter on). With less features in other countries (like the TV ones) and much more expensive, the xbox will not sell well in europe and asia, if at all. (and in the US it will be behind the PS4)

To me that is the same as handing a kid candy, to stop their crying when they really wanted a cool toy. Windows 8.1 is a pacifier not an answer to outcry. And for me it was more of a "Shut up and go to your room, because this is the way it is going to be!" response.

Metro interface on desktop lol at you completely useless people... I have been using windows 8 since release with no 3rd party addons and have never used the metro interface. There is absolutely 100% no reason to EVER use that interface on a desktop. People who spend the time swapping back and forth from desktop to metro just need to learn how to use it for real.

There is not 1 single reason to ever have to use the metro interface on a desktop. Desktop mode has a menu WAY better then the start menu ever was so just stop bitching and learn to use the software already.

Metro interface on desktop lol at you completely useless people... I have been using windows 8 since release with no 3rd party addons and have never used the metro interface. There is absolutely 100% no reason to EVER use that interface on a desktop. People who spend the time swapping back and forth from desktop to metro just need to learn how to use it for real.

There is not 1 single reason to ever have to use the metro interface on a desktop. Desktop mode has a menu WAY better then the start menu ever was so just stop bitching and learn to use the software already.
Where is this menu you speak of? I to have Windows 8, but I've been using Start8 to replace my start menu in the W7 Style, or W8 style. It's great, it even categorizes the apps, so I can find them easily. You can even have custom animated images for your start button.

There is not 1 single reason to ever have to use "Windows 8" on the desktop. Since I already have Windows 7 Ultimate.

Just for clarification... I do not and will not own either system. I also do not own the current generation, or the previous one.... the only thing I own is a computer for World of Tanks and a WiiU console. (I like Mario and Zelda). I do not think one system is better than the other. Its Apples and Oranges... just a personal preference. I just find it amusing that one post something then the other one post the same thing....

I consider the words Microsoft and Bill Gates interchangeable terms. I guess that went over your head.
No problem, why don't we blame George Bush for Obamacare while we're at it. He spent as much time on that bill as Bill Gates did on Windows 8.

Sorry, if I formed my opinion based upon known features and involved companies past track records. Fact is people make lots of purchasing decision based upon specs alone. I don't believe in the motto, "try it you'll like it" like you obviously do. I can look at the feature set of a product and know whether it's something I want or not. I did this when making my decision about using Windows 8. I don't really give a damn how many improvements were made to the engine. I will not use a gay purple touch-centric interface. I cannot "tolerate" being brought down to the level of a chimpanzee UI. Many people obviously don't mind. Still using Windows 7 Ultimate and will be until the day I die, or Microsoft "really" listens to consumers and gives us what we want. Microsoft is free to make that decision. It's no skin off my back.

I don't believe in the motto 'try it you'll like it' But I do believe in 'Don't knock it till you've tried it', and that's why I can't sit here and tell you how bad Win 8 or the XB1 is. I haven't tried either. Regardless, you can't accuse MS of not listening to feedback, they backtracked on their 'always on' requirement for the XB1, and they put a "start" button back in Windows 8. I completely believe that they ignored your feedback because 'Dude, that's gay' isn't exactly constructive. And if that's your way of explaining to someone that they need to make a change, you better get used to feeling ignored.

So, if it "annoys" you that I have the intelligence to make a purchasing decision based upon specs and features alone....oh well. That's your problem, not mine.
Annoy? Not at all. I wish I could do that. I'm one of those people who can't look at a dealer's sticker in a car window and decide if I like the car or not. I actually have to drive it.

PS4 clearly has the superior edge in the console war. Xbox lost me at "always on" kinect and "ads are the experience" yeah okay...

Oops, Didn't meant to comment just a quote.
If that can be removed by a member of staff or whatever would be very helpful.

It's great that the PS4 has opened this feature up to everyone although it still gets let down by only able to record for 10 minutes I believe it is?
If it's similar to the Xbox one as well where it can't record literally everything you do (Some cut scene spoilers can't be recorded) then it's let down again.

Hauppauge did confirm the HD PVR 2 will fully function on the next gen consoles working as normal in 1080p which is great, there is no lock on the new consoles so basically you can use external devices such as the pvr to endlessly record your gameplay footage instead of having those stupid restrictions.

I'm still stuck between what console to go for, Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Heck I might even try and buy them both :p

Back