Sony is increasing the subscription price for PlayStation Plus

Scorpus

Staff member

It turns out that giving subscribers a bunch of free games every month is a bit more expensive than Sony first realized. The company will be increasing the price of their PlayStation Plus subscription by $10 starting September 22nd, bringing the price up from $49.99 to $59.99 per year.

Three-month PlayStation Plus subscriptions will also increase by $7, up from $17.99 to $24.99. One month subscriptions will remain at $9.99, though they still provide significantly worse value than the yearly plan.

The pricing changes won't affect current subscribers until their plans are up for renewal. Those whose plans expire before September 22nd will be treated to a full year of PlayStation Plus at the old $49.99 price, however any renewals on or after the date will be subject to the price hike. For those who don't have PlayStation Plus, it could be a good idea to purchase a yearly subscription now at the old price before it increases.

If you'd rather not pay an extra $10 per year for PlayStation Plus, Sony advises users to disable the auto-renewal feature in their account settings before September 22nd.

PlayStation Plus comes with a number of benefits for gamers in Sony's ecosystem. The subscription provides free games every month, which can be collected, downloaded, and played so long as the subscription is active. On the PlayStation 4, a PlayStation Plus subscription is required for online gaming in the majority of cases.

Permalink to story.

What about rest of the world? Why do they expect that everyone uses dollars and lives in usa. Probably extra 10 of your local currency as $=€ for most companies.

This change doesn't impact people who are able to buy a full year sub that much but for kids and teens who often have to buy months when they can this is a large increase and is exactly the market they are targeting.

This change doesn't impact people who are able to buy a full year sub that much but for kids and teens who often have to buy months when they can this is a large increase and is exactly the market they are targeting.

That doesn't make any sense. Like, at all.
Sony is targeting people that buy monthly passes by raising the price so they can't afford it?

That doesn't make any sense. Like, at all.
Sony is targeting people that buy monthly passes by raising the price so they can't afford it?

You assume they can't afford it. The parents are the one's paying for it. They many not be willing to plop down for the full year but they will get the 1 or 3 month subs.

They many not be willing to plop down for the full year but they will get the 1 or 3 month subs.
It is possible the subscription is also used as a reward for good behavior during school. It's easier to cut off monthly than a yearly sub.

And then some parents would pay anything to keep their kids occupied.

It is possible the subscription is also used as a reward for good behavior during school. It's easier to cut off monthly than a yearly sub.

And then some parents would pay anything to keep their kids occupied.

Yeah I was betting on the "some parents would pay anything to keep their kids occupied" part. In an ideal world, it would be used for good behavior.

What about rest of the world? Why do they expect that everyone uses dollars and lives in usa. Probably extra 10 of your local currency as $=€ for most companies.

Aye that's normally the case. Sony will probably hike the price up here by £15 and blame it on "brexit" even though the pound is still stronger that the entire EU and ALL of the USA. Infact most countries don't have a currency as strong as the pound, even post brexit!

I don't have anything against these subscriptions, but it's not cool when you have to pay to play multiplayer that's included in the games you bought (not sure if PS4 does the same thing as XBONE).

Never support a subscription service, they make PLENTY of money from their advertisers . !!!

*sigh* its whatever to me. They know I will pay it because I want to be able to play online with my friends. Most of the free games are crap but sometimes they give you access to a pretty good game. Also the discounts you get on video games just because your a subscriber are pretty damn good.

Ya definitely. Its still a great deal and like I said If you go for the year sub it really does work out to 83 cents more a month. a mere pittance.

I don't have anything against these subscriptions, but it's not cool when you have to pay to play multiplayer that's included in the games you bought (not sure if PS4 does the same thing as XBONE).
oh, the ps4 does the same thing. no playing games online without PS+

So glad I dropped out of gaming for the most part this gen. SOOO much BS. they never seem to make enough money.

oh, the ps4 does the same thing. no playing games online without PS+

So glad I dropped out of gaming for the most part this gen. SOOO much BS. they never seem to make enough money.

I don't know what you are talking about. The game developers themselves decide if they wish to participate with SONY in requiring gamers to have a Playstation Plus subscription to game online. There are plenty of games on the PS4 that are freely available and support multiplayer gaming without a Playstation Plus account.

Games like Blacklight Retribution, Warframe, DC Universe and most recently Hawken are all free to play. These are not weak games like most of the free ones given away to subscribers. With $ 10.00 on upgrades per game you can have a very rewarding experience without a PS+ account.

Gotta pay for them shitty servers that barely keep the PSN running..

I have experience managing LINUX servers & I can tell you that the majority of issues are caused by a constant influx of server attacks from all over the world. Add gamers whom are trying to cheat the system or hack into user accounts and you get unstable service. SONY is a major target.

I remember when I would launch a new server online and within 30 minutes it had over 10,000 brute force attacks from China, Spain, Brazil & countries all over the world. Followed with DDOS attacks & all sorts of malicious security breaching tactics.

You can only do so much to curve it but security tactics are improving constantly. The main problem is once you grant an end user access to your system it leaves it open to internal attack. This is being defended against with things like tenant based cloud encapsulation containers which help server administrator contain problems before they get way out of control.

I don't know what you are talking about. The game developers themselves decide if they wish to participate with SONY in requiring gamers to have a Playstation Plus subscription to game online. There are plenty of games on the PS4 that are freely available and support multiplayer gaming without a Playstation Plus account.

Games like Blacklight Retribution, Warframe, DC Universe and most recently Hawken are all free to play. These are not weak games like most of the free ones given away to subscribers. With $ 10.00 on upgrades per game you can have a very rewarding experience without a PS+ account.

I didn't know that. Still isn't right, imo. When you buy a game with multiplayer - the expectation has always been that you can play multiplayer for free, with the exception being MMOs.

Back