Sony is now the top selling game console company for the first time in nearly a decade

Justin Kahn

sony

As sales on Nintendo's latest HD console continue at a slow pace, it was only a matter of time before the company was knocked from its seat as the top selling gaming hardware manufacturer. With sales of PS4 seemingly quite strong out of the gate, it likely doesn't come as much surprise to know that Sony is now the top selling game console company in the US.

After nearly a decade since it was last at the top of the pack, Sony sold $18.7 million units in fiscal year 2013 of which 7 million were attributed to its newest generation PlayStation 4. Back in its glory days of the PlayStation 2, Sony enjoyed a healthy lead over its competitors but failed to retain that position with the pricey launch of the PlayStation 3.

Nintendo on the other hand, watched its hardware sales drop 31% over the same time period to 16.31 million. Nintendo is likely going to have to have some pretty major E3 announcements for its luck to change, the lack of compelling content for Wii U has had the company leaning on its handheld products for quite sometime now.

Microsoft had a slow start with Xbox One, but has since picked up the pace moving 11.6 million units across fiscal year 2013, up 16 %. While still safely in third place and likely to stay there, announcements of the new $400, Kinect-less Xbox One and some interesting new game announcements at E3 could start to change the tides.

These numbers are courtesy of Nikkei Asian Review, who expects Sony to retain its lead this year as well. In our latest video game survey we found that PC gaming might be more popular than you thought and that there are still many 360 gamers hesitant about moving over to Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

Well that's what happens when a company puts profit over people in an already competitive market. Microsoft thought they already had the edge because of the 360's success and it backfired.

Microsoft thought they already had the edge because of the 360's success and it backfired.
I honestly couldn't say which console I would buy, if they were the same price. I do know I would go for the cheaper console, which ever that would be. But since I am PC only, I don't have to worry about it.

Microsoft thought they already had the edge because of the 360's success and it backfired.
I honestly couldn't say which console I would buy, if they were the same price. I do know I would go for the cheaper console, which ever that would be. But since I am PC only, I don't have to worry about it.
I was thinking of maybe picking one up, but I want to wait awhile to make sure there are no major hardware issues with either console. Early adopters usually get shafted and it will be quite some time before we see how either console fairs under real world use.

I am defiantly going to get a PS4. I knew since I first heard that these companies started to make them that I was going to get the PS4. I always thought that Sony was a better console company then Microsoft. Everything I want to play Sony has it and the few games that I do want to play on the Microsoft side, 9 times out of 10 they make a PC version for it.

Either way I win :D

Next gen consoles are a yawn fest and most games suck so 'nuff said.

I was thinking of maybe picking one up, but I want to wait awhile to make sure there are no major hardware issues with either console. Early adopters usually get shafted and it will be quite some time before we see how either console fairs under real world use.

Was scared by all the laser deaths in PS3s but my original model (aka fat PS3) is still going strong, but the reduced media centre style features of the PS4 have made me hold off on picking one up. That and the fact the last game I played on PS3 was The Last Of Us, and have had no other urge to buy a game or replay an old one on it. Still, it's been a good bluray and media player during it's life :)

I'll be picking a PS4 up if A) Destiny is any good and B) To play The Last of Us Remastered

xD

Back