Sony launches the Xperia Z2 with "world's best mobile camera"

Scorpus

Staff member

At Mobile World Congress 2014, Sony has announced their new flagship Android smartphone, the Xperia Z2, which is a small update to the Xperia Z1 but packs what the company claims is "the world's best mobile camera".

The design of the Xperia Z2 is similar to the Z1, although Sony has bumped the screen real-estate up to 5.2-inches (from 5.0-inches) through the inclusion of an all-new display. The company has ditched the eIPS LCD in favor of a traditional 1080p IPS panel, which reportedly fixes issues such as poor viewing angles and color accuracy that we alluded to in our Xperia Z1 review.

Internally the SoC used has seen a minor bump up to a Snapdragon 801, complete with a 2.45 GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU and a faster-clocked Adreno 330 GPU. There's also 3 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage, a microSD card slot, LTE and a 12.16 Wh (3,200 mAh) battery inside.

The camera on the Z2 which Sony calls the "world's best" is physically identical to the Xperia Z1: a Sony-made 1/2.3" 20.7-megapixel sensor combined with an f/2.0 27mm-effective lens. There doesn't appear to be OIS, which may affect low-light images, although increased processing power now allows the sensor to capture 4K video at 30 frames per second.

Other features include full IP55 and IP58 water resistance, and digital noise cancelation built into the phone as well as the supplied earphones. The Xperia Z2 is 8.2mm thick, 158 grams heavy and will launch globally in March 2014.

Permalink to story.

Yeah yeah, it's all good and well but the Galaxy S5 should have been announced today and I'm still waiting to hear/see anything official.

At Sony office discussing the new xperia flagship

CEO: so, any idea how we build the new Z2?
RnD #1: bring me a Z1 and gimme a sec to overclock it ..done!!
CEO: whoa.. that's innovative, how could you do the magic like appl* done ..but, I'm still not satisfied :(
RnD #2: well, make the display larger! let's say add another 0.2 inch
CEO: Whoa.. now that's what we called innovation! oh, I got idea, how about we just do the same (overclock only) with our xperia tablet Z then rebranded it :D

Although I can probably guess the answer, an official word on carrier availability would be nice. I'm guess a no go for Verizon, because Verizon sucks. If this did come to Verizon it would be my next phone.

Back