TechSpot

Sony Pictures hackers release passwords, employee social security numbers, salaries and more

By Shawn Knight
Dec 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The flood of sensitive information coming out of the recent cyber attack against Sony Pictures seemingly knows no bounds. Nearly half a dozen unreleased Sony films hit piracy websites in the wake of the security breach but now, the nefarious...

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +530

So how does hacking Sony Pictures Guard the Peace? XD

3. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

The serious lack of respect for data security is off the charts.

Plain-Text passwords in an unencrypted spreadsheet saved in a folder called Passwords? Seriously?

C'mon, that's beyond amateur

davislane1 likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

I'd be annoyed if I saw the salaries. Just knowing what some people earn for doing absolutely nothing would make me jealous knowing that I could do same thing far better than them not to mention the fact I'm probably better qualified and I practice at it ceaselessly. :D

5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

Well, f*** them hackers. One thing is going against a company (abstraction of people) than against individuals targeted arbitrarily. On the other side, shame on SONY for such amateur worst practices as John C Bell commented before.

6. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

They still have not said what the motive was.

7. infiltrator

infiltrator TS Booster Posts: 141   +21

This is not, the first time that this kind of attack against Sony happens. It has happened in the past, has happened again and will happen again, unless Sony does something about it.

8. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 284   +132

Perhaps what the hackers were going for was to make note-worthy how simple the security measures were for Sony.

It wouldn't be surprising that making the statement of how insecure such large corporations realistically can be, could have been part of the intention.