Sony? power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad power supply in a Sony Vaio desktop - Model # VCG-RA710g.
Can I use a generic one in there, Sony is telling me that I have to use theirs and its $130. Are there any other options? Help! :)

Do you know what form factor your PSU or motherboard is?

Look on the side of your PSU for a sticker and carefully post all of the information on it.

I'll go see if I can dig up some information on your PC while you do that :).

Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.20E GH1 with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
Cache Memory
1MB Integrated On-Die Level 2
Front Side Bus Speed
800MHz
Standard RAM
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR(expandable to 2.0GB)
Hard Drive
250GB2 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW Drive
Double Layer5 +R (2.4 max. +R write) DVD±RW5 -RW (8X max. -R write / 4X max. -RW rewrite / 8X max. -R/-RW read) +RW (8X max. +R write / 4X max. +RW rewrite / 8X +R/+RW max. read) CD-RW (40X max. -R write / 24X max. rewrite / 40X max. -R read / 32X max. -RW read)
DVD-ROM Drive
16X max. DVD-ROM Read / 40X max. CD-ROM read
Floppy Disk Drive
3.5” 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Video & Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX5200 w/TV-Out 128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR) TV-Out / VGA-Out / DVI-Out (DVI Output: 1280x1024x60Hz max.) 8X AGP 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration Giga Pocket™ Engine MPEG2 Realtime Encoder board with TV Tuner
Audio
Integrated AC’97
Ethernet
10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet(RJ-45)
Modem
V.90 compatible data/fax modem
Expansion Slots
One 8x AGP (occupied by Graphics Card) Three PCI (none available) Multi-Media Card Reader (Memory Stick™, Compact Flash™ Type I & Type II, xD-Picture Card™, Secure Digital (SD), MultiMedia Card (MMC), IBM Micro DriveTM, and Smart Media™)
Expansion Bays
Two 5.25” Half-Height (occupied) One External 3.5” (occupied) Three Internal 3.5” (one occupied)
Port Connectors
Seven USB 2.0 (three front/four rear) Two PS/2® (Mouse/Keyboard) One VGA/DVI Monitor Port / TV-Out Port One S/PDIF Out / One Parallel Port/ One Line In One 6pin i.LINK™ 6 Port (rear)/ One 4pin (front) One Headphone / One Microphone S-Video: Two Inputs (front and rear) Composite Video / Audio Inputs (front and rear) Coaxial Input (VHF/UHF)
Power Requirements
364.7 watts max. / 100 -120V ~4.7A (50/60Hz)
Power Managment
ACPI 1.0 Compliant

:) Thank you for that, but almost none of it is relevant. It would of helped more if you could have provided the information on your PSU.

Anyhow, based on what I can see, you should have the Asus P4SD-VL (does that look like your motherboard?) in your PC. This is an OEM motherboard, however, it looks to me like it should conform to a mainstream PSU's specifications.

This PSU should work fine for you :).

lol. sorry. been a busy day ;)

Its a Delta Electronic - Model # DPS-400lbB

47 HZ-63 HZ

364.7 W Max output

LPS

MXI-D is on there too.

I don't really see much around about that PSU. Does yours look like the one I suggested?

Based on your motherboard's specifications, I feel pretty safe suggesting the one that I did.

I looked on the Delta website and I guess they dont make them anymore? Pretty sad that the computer is only 4 years old and they dont make any of the parts anymore...

oh, no, I am... I had researched all of that before I got on here...I was just afraid that a standard one wouldn't fit. There was questions on if it was 18 or 20 pin connector. Someone told me Sony made 18 ones so that you cant use the other ones.

On the motherboard that I believe is in your system, is a 20-pin main connector. That is easy enough to check for yourself, open the case, find the largest connector going from the PSU to the motherboard, carefully take it off and count the little holes. If there are twenty, you are golden with the one I suggested. If there are 18, I will see if I can find a proprietary PSU for cheaper than Sony wants to charge you.

You can use another power supply, but take the old one with you to the store to match connectors... and size. There isn't much room to replace it with some others.
Sony always tells you nothing else will work, but we have had no trouble with same size Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, and FSP.
Use a power supply tester, and read the info on the label for what power each rail supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back