Sony reportedly prepping "PlayStation 4.5" with upgraded GPU for 4K gaming, better VR

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony is reportedly working on a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 console. Dubbed the PlayStation 4.5, the new device will feature an upgraded GPU to enable 4K resolution gaming while simultaneously offering more oomph for its virtual reality platform according to multiple developer sources as first reported by Kotaku.

The publication said it wasn't sure whether existing PlayStation 4 owners would be able to upgrade their console with the device or if it's an entirely new console. What's more, it's unclear if PlayStation 4.5 will indeed be the official name of the device or if it's just a temporary internal codename.

Today's PlayStation 4 is capable of outputting 4K resolution pictures and videos but doesn't have the ability to push 4K gaming.

The idea may sound a bit crazy at first but it's much more plausible than you might think.

Modern hardware is evolving at a rapid pace and with gaming becoming more mainstream than ever and the continued threat from PC gaming, the traditional 7+ year lifecycle of a console seems incredibly unlikely. Just think, seven years ago, BlackBerry was still relevant, Palm was launching its Pre and Nokia put out the N97. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be turning three later this year and compared to PC hardware, they're already quite dated. Will they last another four years without help?

If the PlayStation 4.5 does arrive as some sort of add-on, it wouldn't set a precedent. Remember the Sega CD and the 32X? Sure, those devices ultimately failed but one could argue that they were ahead of their time as gaming wasn't nearly as popular as it is today.

Permalink to story.

Interesting, been wondering when I'd pull the trigger on current gen console, but yet another good reason to hold out for a bit. I guess I was really waiting for a slim redesign but something like this coming out after I bought a PS4 would've driven me nuts.

Wow. Its hard to believe they are already 3 years old. I have a PS4, but honestly, it's just collecting dust. Would much rather play/purchase games through Steam. I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4, but that's about it.

I have a PS4 and many flagship titles (battlefront, fallout4, GH), but still mainly play on my pc. My PC can comfortably play 4K gaming, infactabout an hour ago I was playing Skyrim, 4K with everything max about 45fps ... more than playable. I doubt the PS4.5 could do that even with updated hardware.

I can't really see some kinda add on external gpu. They will make more money buy selling you a brand new console.

And I'm pretty sure this is 4k at 30fps an important detail they leave out and probably on purpose.

It wonders me why consoles don't take the SLI/Crossfire idea. Release the console with one GPU and then much later sell a second GPU. Ofc it would have to be made with this in mind from the start (size & power and so on).

Pretty much why I stuck to my PS3 as the PS4 is the same thing just with more graphical power and the two or three interesting exclusive games weren't worth it.

It wonders me why consoles don't take the SLI/Crossfire idea. Release the console with one GPU and then much later sell a second GPU. Ofc it would have to be made with this in mind from the start (size & power and so on).

Pretty much why I stuck to my PS3 as the PS4 is the same thing just with more graphical power and the two or three interesting exclusive games weren't worth it.

Probably because of heat and power consumption.

It would also require them to put a much better cooling system in which will raise price of the console.

I highly doubt it will be an add-on... will be a new console with some sort of "trade in rebate" for existing owners (which won't be worth it).

I wonder just how they can make it 4k ready without making it insanely expensive... You really need MINIMUM nvidia 970 equivalent for even passable 4k gaming... and that's almost the cost of the console right there...

Sigh...another VR headline again

I really want to see the excitement over VR next year...including by Techspot.

If this is true...will AMD be making their GPU for them? AMD stock has skyrocketed the past month on hopes for its VR capabilities. If this news proves true & they're gonna make a deal with AMD I only see their stock soaring further!

If you look at some of the games on PS4 and how they run at 60 fps already, games need to be optimized with engines that run well VS new hardware. The game companies than make their games run well on current generation of hardware as long as they put the effort in optimizing the game. Instead of 60 they can even do 40-50.

I highly doubt it will be an add-on... will be a new console with some sort of "trade in rebate" for existing owners (which won't be worth it).

I wonder just how they can make it 4k ready without making it insanely expensive... You really need MINIMUM nvidia 970 equivalent for even passable 4k gaming... and that's almost the cost of the console right there...
GTX970 is almost 2 years old, it's from the current generation. The next generation is just a few months away and AMD promised that it will bring VR/4k capable GPUs to a lower price, this would mean in the 200-250 dollars range and also a lower power consumption. So a 450 dollar console with a custom GPU from the next generation that can handle 4k should be possible.

I have a PS4 and many flagship titles (battlefront, fallout4, GH), but still mainly play on my pc. My PC can comfortably play 4K gaming, infactabout an hour ago I was playing Skyrim, 4K with everything max about 45fps ... more than playable. I doubt the PS4.5 could do that even with updated hardware.
Like if somebody with its brain right in would care for 4K gaming.

Interesting. Wonder if titles would start to come out with 2 levels of graphics . One for the old 4 and one for the 4.5, or would the 4.5 just have some exclusive titles? Also is this 4.5 really just a 4 with the box they are shipping to make VR possible inside the console?

My i7 2700k oc'ed at a modest 4.5ghz is still more than enough. I can't wait for Pascal though and 4k gaming is overrated. Ultrawide 3440x1440 21:9 gaming is where its at. I even heard they are coming out with a 100fps monitor with that rez

GTX970 is almost 2 years old, it's from the current generation. The next generation is just a few months away and AMD promised that it will bring VR/4k capable GPUs to a lower price, this would mean in the 200-250 dollars range and also a lower power consumption. So a 450 dollar console with a custom GPU from the next generation that can handle 4k should be possible.
If they're building it NOW, that means they've already chosen a GPU... I doubt it's a new gen one...

Before you even get into the cost of the upgrade, consumers would have to have a reason to buy a 4K TV to go with a console. What about content? How many people are really going to ditch their current 50" TV, for a one that maybe supports a handful of games and some YouTube videos? 1080p to 2160p is quite the jump.

Sony is about to release their VR headset, so if this upgrade will improve it, are they also saying it's (resolution) not as good as it could be? This has to be a rumour.

Sony and MS would be fools to "upgrade" their current systems now.

Last edited:
Would be a total waste of money. They are better off waiting another 2-3 years and go with the ps5 which will have to go up to 4k gaming if it wants to compete with PC's, same with Xbox.

How much money do you spend on your most expensive hobby? Gaming is no different than any other hobby out there.
Would be a total waste of money. They are better off waiting another 2-3 years and go with the ps5 which will have to go up to 4k gaming if it wants to compete with PC's, same with Xbox.
Confronting someone suggesting it would be a waste of money. And then suggesting it would be a waste of money yourself. Hmmm!!

Back