Sony reveals faster PlayStation 4 Pro, slimmer standard console

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony on Wednesday introduced the world to its new family of PlayStation 4 consoles consisting of a slimmer version of the original and a more powerful variant called the PlayStation 4 Pro.

The slimmer and lighter PlayStation 4 will replace the original console in the lineup. It’s functionally identical to the first-generation console, we’re told, although it is a bit more energy efficient and comes with a slightly different DualShock 4 controller.

Codenamed Neo, the new PlayStation 4 Pro with 1TB hard drive builds on the success of the original with a faster processor, better graphics and support for glorious 4K resolution and HDR. Although it’s designed to get the most out of 4K televisions that support HDR, such sets aren’t a requirement.

As PlayStation lead system architect Mark Cerny explained, even games on a 1080p TV will look better through the use of technologies like super-sampling and advanced anti-aliasing. Games on standard HD sets will also feature brighter colors and better reflections although it sounds like high-fidelity patches will be needed to bring out the best in older titles.

PlayStation 4 Pro will also afford a much better overall experience when using PlayStation VR, the company’s upcoming virtual reality headset. Netflix is even developing an app for the console that’ll allow for 4K video streaming.

One has to wonder if this will expedite Microsoft’s plans to bring Project Scorpio to market.

It’s worth mentioning that HDR capabilities will be coming to all PlayStation 4 consoles via firmware update.

The slimmer PlayStation 4 goes on sale September 15 priced at $299. If it’s the PlayStation 4 Pro you’re after, be prepared to wait until November 10 to get one for $399.

Permalink to story.

Scorpio will be fine. Its substantially more powerful than the pro, at least by the little info we have.

where did you read that?
PS doesnt support backwards compatibility, just streaming older games from a sony server via Playstation now.

(For comparison, xbox one family of consoles has an increasingly large library of backwards compatibility 360 games, though very, very slowly)

No backwards compatibility? No thanks.
PS doesnt support backwards compatibility, just streaming older games from a sony server via Playstation now.

(For comparison, xbox one family of consoles has an increasingly large library of backwards compatibility 360 games, though very, very slowly)

To both of you: hahaha, what?! The new models use the same ISA (instruction set architecture -x86 in this case). They are just an upgrade in computing power, no reason to not run already available games; unless SONY says "because f*ck u, that's why".

To both of you: hahaha, what?! The new models use the same ISA (instruction set architecture -x86 in this case). They are just an upgrade in computing power, no reason to not run already available games; unless SONY says "because f*ck u, that's why".
Its common knowledge that all PS4 consoles will run PS4 games and all xbone one consoles will run all xbox one games. I must have mis understood who I quoted as wanting to play PS3 or earlier games, as that is what backwards compatibility traditionally refers to.

I've NEVER actually purchased any slim or remake models of any console. I still have the original PS3 fat model that is backwards compatible, and the original PS4 model. I think I even have the PS2 fat model in the closet still. Xbox360 red ringed a long time ago, and never bought another Xbox since. Dating before the PS2, I think that's getting old enough I could say my parents probably purchased the PS1 for me, it was also not the slim model. Unrelated, I also owned (or rather someone had purchased for me) a Sega Genesis, and a NES. I missed out on the world of Nintendo... but fortunately I had friends who had a Nintendo 64 and we played the **** out of Goldeneye.

Has to be one of the least drastic changes I've ever seen for a slim model, looks like they just shortened it.

Listen people, you have to be a pc enthusiastic to know the ps4 pro or the scorpio is bullshit. If you people think that games are gonna run at 4k resolution you dont know nothing about hardware. At 400 you cant even buy a decent card to run a pc game on 4k, and the ps4 pro will cost that. lol The only good thing about the ps4 pro or the scorpio is 4k streaming in apps like netflix, prime etc.

Listen people, you have to be a pc enthusiastic to know the ps4 pro or the scorpio is bullshit. If you people think that games are gonna run at 4k resolution you dont know nothing about hardware. At 400 you cant even buy a decent card to run a pc game on 4k, and the ps4 pro will cost that. lol The only good thing about the ps4 pro or the scorpio is 4k streaming in apps like netflix, prime etc.

Obviously most of the 4k game will be indies or very simple games. 4k is doable on my PC with my new 1060, but I have to turn off all types of AA. I image they can definately do that and lower some settings. I dont expect the pro to run something like RotTR in 4K maxxed out, but if an xbox one can play it 1080p 30fps, the pro may be able to approach 4k 30fps

Can we stop it with the backwards compat with 360 and ps3? nobody cares about it after so many years, it's only relevant at the launch of a new generation. you buy a new console to play new games.

as for 4K gaming: not even the Scorpio will have 4K native resolution games besides simple indie ones. both consoles will upscale.

PS4 pro is for 4k upscale 30fps and native 1080p 60 fps which is plenty.
It's a full system that can play some 4k game and does HDR in 1080p with a BluRay for under $400.
What you want sony to do? Put in a i7x 10 core 20 thread and a stupid Titan XP and sell the console for $400? And you really think people would buy consoles at $2000?

/sigh

It's a full system that can play some 4k game and does HDR in 1080p with a BluRay for under $400.
What you want sony to do? Put in a i7x 10 core 20 thread and a stupid Titan XP and sell the console for $400? And you really think people would buy consoles at $2000?

/sigh

No, I think they are just acknowledging the realities. Like you did.

What's that? People expecting $2500+ worth of hardware with a $399 price tag?
Don't get it other than younger generation these-days pulling the same entitlement crap.

/sigh

Basically you get what you pay for.

Buying a raw chip at bulk pricing with no branding is MUCH Cheaper than a consumer priced graphics card.
PS4 pro doesnt do native 4k nor do they say they do, though they are misleading with the way they present it.

Buying a raw chip at bulk pricing with no branding is MUCH Cheaper than a consumer priced graphics card.
PS4 pro doesnt do native 4k nor do they say they do, though they are misleading with the way they present it.
They never said native 4K for all games (or at all). What they did though is offer an amazing upscaler which uses a technique called Checkerboard Process, which can get a 2x2 pixel block and extrapolate a 4x4 pixel block from it (they do offer other things too, but I don't know the details - all you need to know is that all them have 0 cost for devs and can be fine tuned). you should watch the digitalfoundry video about the PS4 Pro or read the eurogamer article
"Three hours with PlayStation 4 Pro". You'll understand a lot more.

a quote: "Switching between full HD and checkerboard 4K, the increase in detail is simply stunning."

Uhm aren't they just ocing the same old cpu? A pretty lame "upgrade" for 400$. Still barely making 60 fps.

@captaintom tom on a pc you could sell your old gpu cpu memory and get this for under 100$. It has hexcore cpu with a frequency lower then most phones. Comparing it to an i3 is redic. You could get a beastly 4690k for 200$+ that gpu for 200$ on pc and it would smoke your ps4 pro every single day 24 hours a day until the ps5.

Base PS4
PS4 Pro Boost
CPU
Eight Jaguar cores clocked at 1.6GHz Eight
PRO Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1GHz 1.3x (20% increase or so)
GPU 18 Radeon GCN compute units at 800MHz (doesnt list the old flops :(
PRO 36 'improved' GCN compute units at 911MHz 2.3x FLOPs
Memory 8GB GDDR5 at 176GB/s 8GB GDDR5 at
PRO 218GB/s 24% more bandwidth, 512MB more useable memory

Source
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-specs-release-date-price-everything-we-know

For a tech site this article fails at any real numbers.

You could sell your old ps4 on ebay for around 250-275$$. And buy the pro, however again a 1060+a 4690k can run most ps4 games at 120 fps. twice the performance with higher quality settings.

call of duty block ops 3 benchmarks 970=1060

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571393/lightbox/post/24349428/id/2565849

Last edited:
Back