Sony unveils Project Morpheus virtual reality headset for PS4

Scorpus

Staff member

For the past three years a dedicated team at Sony have been working on 'Project Morpheus', a virtual reality headset that's coming to the PlayStation 4. Announced by SCE Worldwide Studio's Shuhei Yoshida at GDC 2014, the headset is still a prototype at this stage, even though the black and white design revealed on stage already looks quite slick.

In its current form, Project Morpheus packs a 5-inch, 1080p display that gives a 90 degree field of view, plus 360 degree positional head tracking powered by the PlayStation Camera. The headset will also integrate with the PlayStation Move controller, transforming into a virtual object such as a sword in select games.

As for audio, Sony claims the headset has "true spatial sound" through binaural audio for 3D-like effects, and there's an audio jack on the device so you can bring your own headphones. The edges of Project Morpheus will emit a subtle blue light while in operation (likely for tracking purposes), and the headset is said to be very adjustable and comfortable for prolonged gaming sessions.

The current developer kit prototype is wired, connecting to the PlayStation 4 with both HDMI and USB, although a wireless unit isn't off the cards. Sony is already working with several game developers, including Crytek and Epic Games, to develop content for Project Morpheus, but the public unveiling at GDC will hopefully entice several more to hop aboard.

Sony hasn't mentioned a launch timeframe for their virtual reality headset, or a targeted price, so we'll just have to wait for more information. It'll be interesting to see how the headset competes with the Oculus Rift, which is already in the hands of many developers.

Permalink to story.

As an old school gamer and 80's/90's kid I have seen far too many of these things fail. It's going to take one hell of a product to get me to strap on a headset and stare into a 5" screen instead of my 60" hanging on the wall.
Not trying to be crimson here I do like the idea and can't wait to see how this and Oculus Rift pan out.

Im hopeful though, now that people are actually competing in the VR department. I think I would love elder scrolls 6 with a VR headset and a move controller.

As an old school gamer and 80's/90's kid I have seen far too many of these things fail. It's going to take one hell of a product to get me to strap on a headset and stare into a 5" screen instead of my 60" hanging on the wall.
Not trying to be crimson here I do like the idea and can't wait to see how this and Oculus Rift pan out.

You do realize having a small screen at inches away is the same as having a huge one feet away, as long as the resolution is close to or the same.

Eh, I can't see this (alone) doing all that well. It just seems like it's in the gimmick phase, and without something more (like a good 3D sensor, see "Virtuix Omni") it will just stay that way. I have a feeling it will become like the move controller...

Maybe in a generation or so it will become more than a gimmick...

Cool, yet I still say meh to all these devices till I see them in action. Sure in this day and age the tech is possible, but im more curious on the how well the support is going to be aspect of this.

You do realize having a small screen at inches away is the same as having a huge one feet away, as long as the resolution is close to or the same.
Lol. It is, most definitely, not even close to being the same, for an obvious number of reasons.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The only thing I like about this product announcement is that it is likely to push Oculus VR deadline backwards a bit. They are taking way too long to roll out the first product, and it's a bad strategy.

Lol. It is, most definitely, not even close to being the same, for an obvious number of reasons.

Exactly. It would be a completely immersive view that would not only seem larger than any size screen on the wall, but appear as if you were actually in the environment, complete with dual-screen viewing for a 3d effect in the same way our eyes create it. Offset viewing in order to create spacial relations.

The only thing I like about this product announcement is that it is likely to push Oculus VR deadline backwards a bit. They are taking way too long to roll out the first product, and it's a bad strategy.

Now that Facebook owns Oculus, I have little interest in it. I just hope Omni (or a similar piece of hardware) will be compatible in the future, for the fully immersive experience.

Is it a single screen only? If so I guess it wont be able to display true 3D images.

Nope. 2 1080p screens.

Eh, I can't see this (alone) doing all that well. It just seems like it's in the gimmick phase, and without something more (like a good 3D sensor, see "Virtuix Omni") it will just stay that way. I have a feeling it will become like the move controller...

Maybe in a generation or so it will become more than a gimmick...

The Omni would be great, but if this [VR] venture even starts to take off, I imagine Sony will have their own version of an "Omni-like" kit not long down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please just edit your previous posts instead of posting 5 times in a row...

Yeah, about that. I was responding to various posts. Did the extra posts hurt your feelings? They make it much more legible. I realize these responses were late, and that's why there are no posts in between. Had there been, this would've appeared as normal. I wasn't about to form an outline in order to clarify who I was responding to. Welcome to the internet.

Yeah, about that. I was responding to various posts. Did the extra posts hurt your feelings? They make it much more legible. I realize these responses were late, and that's why there are no posts in between. Had there been, this would've appeared as normal. I wasn't about to form an outline in order to clarify who I was responding to. Welcome to the internet.

They made it more illegible.
Theres a reason the edit post button is there.

They made it more illegible.
Theres a reason the edit post button is there.
Sure seems more legible to me, and clear as to who I am addressing. Don't see how it possibly made it more illegible... unless of course you're just saying that so your post is vindicated. But that would never happen, right?

Sure seems more legible to me, and clear as to who I am addressing. Don't see how it possibly made it more illegible... unless of course you're just saying that so your post is vindicated. But that would never happen, right?
Not really. the profile name/pic exists to differentiate whos posting. so if its the same one 5 times in a row, it starts to blur the lines of whos the person actually posting.

But hey, lets just ditch the edit post button, and ignore the way things are designed to be done, just so someone can press the quote button and do things more easily because they are too lazy to go edit the post.

Not really. the profile name/pic exists to differentiate whos posting. so if its the same one 5 times in a row, it starts to blur the lines of whos the person actually posting.

But hey, lets just ditch the edit post button, and ignore the way things are designed to be done, just so someone can press the quote button and do things more easily because they are too lazy to go edit the post.

At some point you'll have to realize it's impossible to try and talk some sense into someone who clearly has none, don't waste your time just report and let a mod take care of it.

Back