Sony unveils Project Morpheus virtual reality headset for PS4

By Scorpus
Mar 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. For the past three years a dedicated team at Sony have been working on 'Project Morpheus', a virtual reality headset that's coming to the PlayStation 4. Announced by SCE Worldwide Studio's Shuhei Yoshida at GDC 2014, the headset is still...

Read more
  2. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

As an old school gamer and 80's/90's kid I have seen far too many of these things fail. It's going to take one hell of a product to get me to strap on a headset and stare into a 5" screen instead of my 60" hanging on the wall.
    Not trying to be crimson here I do like the idea and can't wait to see how this and Oculus Rift pan out.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

Im hopeful though, now that people are actually competing in the VR department. I think I would love elder scrolls 6 with a VR headset and a move controller.
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +461

You do realize having a small screen at inches away is the same as having a huge one feet away, as long as the resolution is close to or the same.
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 735   +259

Eh, I can't see this (alone) doing all that well. It just seems like it's in the gimmick phase, and without something more (like a good 3D sensor, see "Virtuix Omni") it will just stay that way. I have a feeling it will become like the move controller...

Maybe in a generation or so it will become more than a gimmick...
  7. Amigosdefox

Amigosdefox TS Booster Posts: 99   +10

Is it a single screen only? If so I guess it wont be able to display true 3D images.
  8. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Cool, yet I still say meh to all these devices till I see them in action. Sure in this day and age the tech is possible, but im more curious on the how well the support is going to be aspect of this.
  9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

Lol. It is, most definitely, not even close to being the same, for an obvious number of reasons.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

11. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,107   +1,376

The only thing I like about this product announcement is that it is likely to push Oculus VR deadline backwards a bit. They are taking way too long to roll out the first product, and it's a bad strategy.
  12. I will then release a game called "Sword Art: Online"
  13. They need one that zooms out 1 reality instead of in.
  14. AJAY1

AJAY1 TS Rookie

Exactly. It would be a completely immersive view that would not only seem larger than any size screen on the wall, but appear as if you were actually in the environment, complete with dual-screen viewing for a 3d effect in the same way our eyes create it. Offset viewing in order to create spacial relations.

Now that Facebook owns Oculus, I have little interest in it. I just hope Omni (or a similar piece of hardware) will be compatible in the future, for the fully immersive experience.

Nope. 2 1080p screens.

The Omni would be great, but if this [VR] venture even starts to take off, I imagine Sony will have their own version of an "Omni-like" kit not long down the road.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  15. ikesmasher

Please just edit your previous posts instead of posting 5 times in a row...
  16. Yeah, about that. I was responding to various posts. Did the extra posts hurt your feelings? They make it much more legible. I realize these responses were late, and that's why there are no posts in between. Had there been, this would've appeared as normal. I wasn't about to form an outline in order to clarify who I was responding to. Welcome to the internet.
  17. ikesmasher

They made it more illegible.
    Theres a reason the edit post button is there.
  18. AJAY1

AJAY1 TS Rookie

Sure seems more legible to me, and clear as to who I am addressing. Don't see how it possibly made it more illegible... unless of course you're just saying that so your post is vindicated. But that would never happen, right?
  19. ikesmasher

Not really. the profile name/pic exists to differentiate whos posting. so if its the same one 5 times in a row, it starts to blur the lines of whos the person actually posting.

But hey, lets just ditch the edit post button, and ignore the way things are designed to be done, just so someone can press the quote button and do things more easily because they are too lazy to go edit the post.
  20. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +461

At some point you'll have to realize it's impossible to try and talk some sense into someone who clearly has none, don't waste your time just report and let a mod take care of it.