Sony unveils ultra-thin flexible OLED display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Sony today unveiled a prototype OLED display so thin and flexible it can wrap around a pencil-sized cylinder while showing video images in full color. The 4.1-inch screen has a resolution of 432 by 240 pixels, which is similar to that offered by many cell phones, and is approximately micrometers-thick thick (about the width of a human hair). The roll-up OLED display also touts a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 and manages a brightness level of 100 cd/m2.

To create such a thin display Sony used a new organic semiconductor material it developed called peri-Xanthenoxanthene (PXX), which is resistant to oxygen, moisture, light, and heat exposure. The new display is also the first flexible organic thin-film transistor (OTFT) that uses something called an integrated flexible gate-driver circuit, allowing Sony to lose the rigid driver IC chips usually found in other types of displays.

The video above shows the display being rolled and unrolled around a cylinder 4 millimeters in diameter. Although image quality is not flawless -- in fact some funky horizontal and vertical lines are visible -- it still represents a breakthrough in this area of display research. The technology will be shown off this week at the Society for Information Display 2010 International Symposium in Seattle.

Permalink to story.

Now this tech is awesome! Imagine it, you go to a rave to find everyone wearing t-shirts with built in screens! we'd all look like the teletubbies!

This is a break through though. Well done to sony on this one!

@Reloader2,

I would agree with you on that, it would be awesome if it could become wifi compatible and then have like an online subscription base newspaper feeding through it. So instead of buying a newspaper oled you, just buy one and pay for subscription.

Imagine a 360 degrees video screen and you at the center. What kind of gaming action would that produce? What kind of graphics card would be able to cope with that?

Good for military use to.Sewn on the sleeve/backpack for over head drone pics and other intel while out in the field through the screen..Plus there are many other uses for it to.

burty117 said:
Now this tech is awesome! Imagine it, you go to a rave to find everyone wearing t-shirts with built in screens! we'd all look like the teletubbies!

As long as people don't run around in costumes saying "binky-winky" and "tinky-winky" or whatever, i'm all for t-shirts with built in screens...although I can't think of exactly how you'd wash that shirt, lol.

Sorry to break it to you but they've had this for a while. It's called displax, developed by some company in south america. Look it up, it's pretty cool.

I want a display wrapped around my coffee cup! Now I can have all the cleaver sayings without having to buy all them cups!

You People are funny. This breakthrough and all the possibilities and all you think about is T-shirts and Teletubbies. lol

OLED, so I guess that explains the really nice viewing angle as demonstrated in the video shots? The response time looks decent, too! Although, this is second hand viewing (through a video recording).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back