Sony unveils ultra-thin flexible OLED display

By Jos
May 26, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sony today unveiled a prototype OLED display so thin and flexible it can wrap around a pencil-sized cylinder while showing video images in full color. The 4.1-inch screen has a resolution of 432 by 240 pixels, which is similar to that offered by many cell phones, and is approximately micrometers-thick thick (about the width of a human hair). The roll-up OLED display also touts a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 and manages a brightness level of 100 cd/m2.

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

Now this tech is awesome! Imagine it, you go to a rave to find everyone wearing t-shirts with built in screens! we'd all look like the teletubbies!

This is a break through though. Well done to sony on this one!
  3. Reloader2

Reloader2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 66

Newspaper anyone? An expensive newspaper that is :D
  4. @Reloader2,

I would agree with you on that, it would be awesome if it could become wifi compatible and then have like an online subscription base newspaper feeding through it. So instead of buying a newspaper oled you, just buy one and pay for subscription.
  5. Imagine a 360 degrees video screen and you at the center. What kind of gaming action would that produce? What kind of graphics card would be able to cope with that?
  6. Good for military use to.Sewn on the sleeve/backpack for over head drone pics and other intel while out in the field through the screen..Plus there are many other uses for it to.
  7. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 800   +8

As long as people don't run around in costumes saying "binky-winky" and "tinky-winky" or whatever, i'm all for t-shirts with built in screens...although I can't think of exactly how you'd wash that shirt, lol.
  8. Sorry to break it to you but they've had this for a while. It's called displax, developed by some company in south america. Look it up, it's pretty cool.
  9. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

fruit roll up keyboard anyone?
  10. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

Wow that is awesome. I want one.
  11. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +82

I want a display wrapped around my coffee cup! Now I can have all the cleaver sayings without having to buy all them cups!

12. jakeshjo1953

jakeshjo1953 TechSpot Member Posts: 26

You People are funny. This breakthrough and all the possibilities and all you think about is T-shirts and Teletubbies. lol
  13. emzdhr

emzdhr Newcomer, in training

I love sony... :)
  14. OLED, so I guess that explains the really nice viewing angle as demonstrated in the video shots? The response time looks decent, too! Although, this is second hand viewing (through a video recording).
  15. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

...well that's just silly!.... before that we need chocolate covered power supplies
  16. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 543

im a sony fan, so muaaah sony
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.