Sony Vaio Laptop cant uprgrade to xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_DOG73

Ok. Heres the dealio. I just got this sony vaio pcg-z505sx Laptop for free from craigslist because the original owner was frustrated with it. It is old. 1998 running windows 98 accordingly. It has no floppy or cd rom. It has one usb port, mini usb, IR, a pc card type 2 slot, a dial up phone modem,(no ethernet) and two sony vaio slots I know nothing about. 6.4 gig hd, 128 ram

I want to install windows xp on it. To do that you need a cd rom, floppy, ethernet or something right? I tried to plug in an external cd drive but It asks for drivers. It asks for drivers for anything I plug into the one usb port it has. When I try to select from a list it says insert the windows 98 cd into the drive. It has no drive. I plug in my kingston memory stick into the usb port thinking I can put the drivers for the cd rom on the memory stick and then install the cd rom. It asks for drivers for the kingston memory stick! I guess the only way to get the drivers for the external cd drive onto the laptop is to connect to the internet and download them. It doesnt have ethernet, just dial up and I don't have access to dial up(who uses it anymore)!

Ok sorry for the long post. If anyone has that laptop or a similar problem I would appreciate a response. Peace out

Oh yeah sorry, I did the whole connect the pc to pc via usb to try to transfer the drivers for the external cd rom to the laptop but guess what:

Yes, it asks for drivers for the usb transfer cable...go figure!

ok, unlikely perhaps, but does it have a serial or a parallel printer port?

If so you could network it to another computer via a Direct Cable Connection to get those drivers on the laptop.

I think it does have a printer port. I don't have the necessary cable but I will look into it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back