TechSpot

Sony Vaio PCV-RX860, Good ram options?

By Unaatis
Nov 24, 2007
  1. Greetings, I am hoping some of you folks around here could help me out with some of my x-mas shopping. I would like to upgrade my husbands computer, he is currently running on 512 MB of ram, and I would like to boost that up for him.

I read online a little about some of my options, and ran into this:

The Sony Vaio PCV-RX860 uses PC-2100 type memory and has 3 bank(s) of 1 socket(s) each for a total of 3 memory socket(s) . The Sony Vaio PCV-RX860 comes standard with 512MB of RAM and supports up to 1.5GB of RAM . Choose from the memory modules listed above for guaranteed compatible upgrades for your Sony Vaio PCV-RX860.

This is what the ram slots look like inside his PC. Now, this article states that I can only upgrade up to 1.5GB of ram.

At Bestbuy, I would like to order him this: PNY - 2-Pack 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory. But I don't know if this is compatible with his PC, or if it is, if it will even fit/work.

My greatest thanks to anywho who can help me out. I would like to order this item soon before its too late. :)

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

The ram you want to order most definately will not work.

3. Unaatis

Unaatis TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you very much for the heads up :)

Any recommendations as to what types of RAM would work which I could order, or even pick-up from a store such as Bestbuy, or Circuit City etc. ?

4. Rik

If it has pc 2100 ram in it already then you should only get pc2100. Any other type of ram will cause problems if it works at all.

Mismatching ram is always a bad idea unless you like having an unstable pc.

5. Unaatis

Unaatis TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your assistance, Rik :) Much apreciated.

6. Rik

No problem.:)

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.