Sony Xperia Z2 Review: A beautiful top-tier Android smartphone

Scorpus

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/830-sony-xperia-z2/]https://www.techspot.com/review/830-sony-xperia-z2/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Somehow, I prefer this and M8 over S5. Design is nice and performance is probably the same as other flagships.

I think that the recently announced LG's G3 is much better, that's why I asked Techspot to review it when they can ;)

I only wish they could've put in the G2 on the pack, it's an amazing phone with very similar characteristics.

Like I have said in the past, I really feel like the video review is way too long. It should be about 10 minutes :D.

Interesting review but one thing that I think is always missing is comparison photos of fast moving items.

I've had it for 3 weeks now and all I can say is "I'm not disappointed" - in everyday use. What I would mention as a BIG con is the camera crashing problem. I haven't used 4K mode once and it has crashed 4 times only for pictures in less than 5 continuous minutes of use; I hope they fix that with a software update [and hopefully is fixable that way].

Is the only big issue that holds me from recommending it in case the potential owner intends to do an intensive use of the camera. And there may be a simple explanation for the long charging time: it has a non-removable battery and they must extend lifespan that way. Fast-charging batteries shorten their lifespan -I knew it theorically and it was confirmed with my dad's one-year-old Galaxy S3 mini battery that would go from 70% to 0% in an instant; and a co-worker with the same model whose battery failed worsly in just 10 months of use.

I agree with the conclusion, at least part of it. Sony must offer better differentiation against competitors, in particular Samsung. HTC, gorgeous hardware and all, is still facing a tough time to sell lots of devices. Sony is in a similar position where hardware is really nice but software is usually lagging behind from the get go, let alone when devices are months or over a year old. My suggestion to all Android third parties: always offer the option of Google Play editions with only very light modifications and additions where there's added value. Skinning for the sake of skinning harms experience in the long term.

I've had it for 3 weeks now and all I can say is "I'm not disappointed" - in everyday use. What I would mention as a BIG con is the camera crashing problem. I haven't used 4K mode once and it has crashed 4 times only for pictures in less than 5 continuous minutes of use; I hope they fix that with a software update [and hopefully is fixable that way].

Didn't experience any camera crashing during my usage

Didn't experience any camera crashing during my usage

Thanks for answering, what modes have you tried for 3-5 minutes sustained? Mine gets hot and then crashes with an error message indicating it will be closed because the phone is heating up while playing with creative effects, I think it happened also with timeshift video, and probably other mode with high demand of CPU. And before I bought it, 7/9 reviews I read reported the same problem when recording at 4K and so I thought "well, I'll keep away from 4K", but that alone didn't avoid the heating up when using the camera.

P.D. I just forced it to crash as to illustrate my point before finishing writing, play with any creative effect for a few minutes, it will heat up and crash. I made it crash with "partial color" (the one where only one color is shown up and the rest are in gray-scale).

Back