TechSpot

Sony's 13-inch 'Digital Paper' tablet acts like paper, costs $1,100

By Scorpus
Mar 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. We haven't yet reached the stage where physical paper is a thing of the past, but Sony is hoping to take us one step further to achieving that goal with a brand new device. Called the 'Digital Paper', the 13.3-inch...

Read more

misor likes this.
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Next to a $100 Kindle White this is the biggest joke yet. This sort of business is in books, and Amazon makes it clear, not in the hardware sales.

Another flop by Sony.

3. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

I disagree with the 'massive' description for the 13.3" d-paper (or whatever it is).
    wow at the 3 weeks (or 21 days) battery life. amazing!

4. Capaill

Capaill TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +16

An $1100 device that can only show pdf's?
    What about Word docs, text files and all the miscellaneous other files like presentations, screenshots, open office?
    How many businesses are truly pdf-only?

Also that 3 week battery claim does need some explaining. If it's proper ePaper, then it's only a page change that uses power. Showing one page only for 3 weeks is hardly noteworthy.

I just can't see businesses paying for this when a 10" tablet can do so much more at a fraction of the cost. In colour.

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

Massive is also used to describe the Note 3's screen and it's 6 inches or something like that. It annoys me too. I prefer to reserve the word for things that actually are pretty big... like Jupiter, for example.

Anyway... sounds like a tough sell for this thing, but they're marketing it to lawyers and I don't know anything about how they'd use it. Maybe it's got what they need.

6. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 585   +100

For $1,100 I can get 110,000 sheets of paper from Amazon. I'd have more paper than what to do with, but what I wouldn't do is a buy an $1,100 machine just to replace paper.

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

This is a device that would appeal to managers (esp. in accounting and finance). Legal documents, Form 10-Ks, etc. don't generally need color, are typically distributed as PDFs and would benefit from a larger display. Sony's real problem here is price point. It's $400 too high as a special purpose device.

8. Hahaha, give me three of those so I can clean my.....

9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,192   +246

Something that acts like paper and costs $1,100 I think thats $1,099 too much for just paper...

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

so now you have a digital poop? hurry, do digital printing now and be the first! :)

11. I could get a 12 inch Galaxy note pro android tablet that also could play movies and running some games on it, complete with stylus.. only for $850 :D

MannerMauler likes this.

12. Mike Steele

Mike Steele TS Member Posts: 37   +6

Add this to the list of things not to waste your money on

13. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Sony is selling oft the pc and tv division to sell these PS4 and headphones?

14. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Wow this is ridiculous...

15. coverturtle

coverturtle TS Rookie

After my experience with Sony's 300-pound 40-inch XBR glass tube television, I doubt I'll be spending $1,100 for any of their products.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.