TechSpot

Sony's answer to Chromecast revealed in updated FCC filing

By Shawn Knight
Aug 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony is working on a Chromecast-style TV dongle of its own. Known only by model number NSZ-GU1, the device surfaced in an FCC filing earlier this month that was recently updated with more information and photos.

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

It looks like Chromecast is set to be a winner so it's hardly surprising to find others jumping on the bandwagon.

3. If the device is powered by USB it WILL need an extra cable... like Chromecast.

4. I just want one with remote control, I don't want to depend on having an smartphone at hand for watch tv.

5. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

It will be interesting to see how Sony prices this device. The features are important too, but in spite of that, they always seem to over price everything.

[Rant]
    I still wonder why all the initial Google TVs were 199.99 plus. Makes me wonder if Google was charging for the Google TV OS. The hardware could have been what they are putting into these small devices.

IR blaster is nice, but placement... More RF controllers... Bluetooth better... so yeah, better for interaction and batteries still last pretty long. My PS3 remote 5.75 years and still going strong.
    [/Rant]

Price, Price, and Price is the Key here. Nothing over 50 Sony, if you can do that, maybe some sales.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.