Sony's two new 4K TVs are thinner than an iPhone 6, set to arrive this summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony tvs iphone tv television ultra hd 4k tv thin bezelless tv set set x900c x910c

If you thought today’s televisions were thin, wait until you have a look at what Sony has up its sleeve. The Japanese electronics giant is preparing to launch a duo of UHD TVs this summer that – at their thinnest point – are slimmer than the iPhone 6, measuring just 0.2 inches thin.

The two sets in question are the 55-inch and 65-inch X900C and the larger X910C at 75 inches. Both models feature panels that stretch nearly edge-to-edge although as Mashable notes, they aren’t quite as “bezel-less” as some of Samsung’s recent offerings.

The upper half of the sets will be the thin areas while the lower section will protrude a bit as this is where components like HDMI and USB ports are housed. Even still, Sony said these new 4K (3,840 x 2,160) sets will be able to mount incredibly close to the wall.

Both models will carry Sony’s new X1 processor which is said to offer a wider range of displayable colors and increased brightness. As you know, there isn’t a wealth of 4K content available just yet meaning much of your consumption for now will happen via upscaling.

These being smart sets, you’re probably envisioning crummy custom UIs that are painfully slow. Not so, says Sony, as its new televisions will run Google’s Android TV. This will deliver full access to streaming services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime Instant Video and more. Sony’s game streaming service, PlayStation Now, is also baked right in.

Unfortunately, Sony hasn’t yet revealed pricing information.

Permalink to story.

They do look nice but unfortunately thin tech = fat wallets. Smart TV's are pretty much unnecessary, you can convert any regular TV with a HDMI port to a smart TV at fraction of the cost.

They do look nice but unfortunately thin tech = fat wallets. Smart TV's are pretty much unnecessary, you can convert any regular TV with a HDMI port to a smart TV at fraction of the cost.
Exactly what I've done with my Sony KDL-46X2000. It's approaching 10 years old but PS3, then Chromecast and now my latest device to trial, the Amazon Fire TV stick, give it smart TV functionality. Love the 4k stuff but until it's mainstream and intranet infrastructure in UK can support streaming of it I'm sticking with Sony's first Full HD set until it dies :)

I sit too far away from my TV to care about how thick the set is. And my wallet is thinner than the TV, so what I care most about is price! If we're talking about 4K, than I care about the picture size too. Since I sit about 12 feet from the set, I'm looking for an affordable 90" +. It'll be easier to find a unicorn than an affordable 90" 4K, I know...

These won't just bend, they will flap to a window draught :)

Sony should have called them curtains :)

Monitors can be very thin because the led screen is just paper thin, maybe a couple mm's. iPhones have the battery, and other components that make it thicker, so a TV that is thinner than this is not surprising.

Back