Soon-to-be new to cable TV and cable modem user

we have given up on satellite tv. it's too expensive. we are considering comcast(only local cable provider) cable tv and Internet bundle known as "double play" service. the bundle will require use of a cable modem. comcast will lease one at $7/month. we want to own one, not lease it. are any of you willing to share your experience with either comcast and/or modem usage? will you recommend brands of modems under $80?

If you are going with Comcast, they will have a list of compatible cable modems for their system. Ask them for this list

Other Hardware(Cable Modem)

Thanks much "650"! I already did exactly as you suggested a week ago. Got the list from the Comcast website. Have my eye on a modem unit which sells on Wal-Mart.com at an affordable price - under $85. A Motorola SB6120.

Currently we are trying to decide on a 32" HDTV. That's the max our cabinet will accomodate. Any ideas? "TV" for us these days is watching DVDs on a 13" player. Our 19" TV decided to "retire". From scouring the Internet(tech forums) for shopping guidance, it's no easy task! There are dozens and dozens of brands and many models within the brands that would suit our needs. We refer to big store customer reviews now and then;
but most of them are "emotional opinions", and not technical pros and cons. But there are a few websites that specialize in testing and technical reviews, and remain unbiased. Maybe these comments belong elsewhere on this site; but will remain right here until I'm told otherwise.

Best regards,
Z

One added note to remember for the future....

I have RCN. And I also bought my own cable modem 5 - 7 years ago and also saved a fortune on what i would've paid if I rented

1. Was years ago, so don't know if RCN (or anyone else) is still pulling the same con. But at the time, RCN told me they "had to charge me for a tech to come out to install my cable modem"! But after arguing and telling them that was BS a tech simply called me so I could tell them the MAC address of my modem (which is all they really need)

2. If you ever think of adding voice to your service, BE SURE to note that you can NOT use your cable modem when you have voice service. You must use the Comcast modem (so include that in any cost you figure if you ever add voice)

/* edit */
The MAC address of your modem will probably be on the box and/or on the modem itself

Other Hardware(Cable Modem)

LookInAround, Thanks for the come-back. Here Comcast charges $7/month for their modem rental. Can't "see" it - won't pay it!

I will opt for TV and Internet only; not voice. I'm thinking of doing away with my current phone service(AT&T) and live with cell phones only. Mine is pre-paid, daughter's is free. Both are "disposable" phones that can be replaced very cheaply!

Bedtime. Be safe!
Z

Back