**SOS** Help DISABLING Integrated Graphics **SOS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently purchased an ATI Radeon 9250 256MB PCI-Bus graphics card. I am running a Dell Dimension 2300 PC, and it currently has the Intel Extreme Graphics controller installed. Integrated garphics are terrible, as you know. (Hence the long-due upgrade).

I have no way by which to disable the on-board graphics, there is no option to do so in BIOS. You may check out my BIOS layout HERE.

As you can see...there is no method to select primary video in the Peripheral Configuration. I was wondering if it would be prudent to simply uninstall/disable any and all instances of the Integrated system via the Hardware Manager. By disabling/uninstalling the onboard graphics will the system be forced to use the Card and not the integrated graphics? I have read about problems similar to this on other forums.

Also, if I were to (on a drastic scale) reinstall the OS, and simply neglect to install the Intel Extreme Graphics drivers...would Windows bite the bullet and use the card w/o conflicts? I can live with a few yellow question-marks as long as there aren't any hardware conflicts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--TheAceOfSpades

Try uninstalling the intel graphic drivers in add remove programs if it is there. then shutdown, install the ATI card and boot. once booted install the radeon drivers.

Hi AceOfSpades,

From what I've gathered at Dell, there is no sure-fire way to disable the on-board, integrated video at the hardware level. I'll keep digging to see if there is some trick to it, but their documentation indeed says you need to set it to "Disabled" in Windows and hope for the best. Their steps are as follows:

* Click Start- Control Panel- System
* Click the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button
* Open Display Adapters
* Double-click the Intel listing
* Under Device Usage, change this to "Do not use this device (disable)"
* Click OK- Apply and/or OK
* Close all boxes
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* Restart the system
* Press F2 at the blue Dell logo screen
* Right arrow to Advanced
* Down arrow to Peripheral Configuration- Video Adapter and change this to PCI or AUTO
* Press F10 to Save and Exit keeping your changes
* Power the system off
* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Connect the monitor to the added PCI video card
* Power on your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card

Ha...hope for the best...a Dell motto, indeed. I've seen those directions in many locations...I guess I was just clinging to some hope that there is a sure-fire way to pull it off without a Guess Factor. Ha...but that's what I get for not just building my PC myself...haha.

Thanx, shark food.

**If anybody has any experience with this situation, I'd love to hear your input.**

Thought I'd mention that the installation proceeded without a hitch. I contacted Dell and they confidently informed me that it was absolutely impossible to install a third-party video card on a Dimension 2300 PC...WRONG.

Thanks for the help!

--Ace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back