Sounblaster X-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeram18

So I bought this about a month or so ago and a 5.1 Surround Sound system. I installed the card and drivers. Everything was sexy. About 3 days ago I opened my DMZ to test something and forgot to close it. Thus my computer became a pincushion for all the lovely crap out there. I couldn't get windows to work(stuck at loading bar for ever) so I tried to repair. When I tried that my disc couldn't load 3 .sys or ini files. I don't remember which. So I said eff it and I did a reformat. Windows XP Home works fine. I installed my intel upgraded chip, video drivers. Every single driver except my X-Fi drivers. Whenever I try to install it either gets stuck at 49% or 69% depending on options I select.

I tried another reformat. In-case a low level reformat. Tried installing in safe mode. I tried installing before everything but windows and after. After restarting etc...My nerd friends can't think of it. I can't think of it. Geek Squad(I work at best buy) can't think of what could be wrong, unless I wanna spend 120$ for them to fix it.

I also tried installing other sound blaster drivers(i had a sound blaster before the x-fi one before.) didn't work. And I can't select the sound card in device manager. I could try moving it down a PCI slot..but I doubt that will work.

Any help is greatly appreiciated. I'm going to post this in OS forums in case it might be XP related. Thanks again.

i think there were a few issues with the xfi and its drivers in general, but i forgot how it got resolved or if it got resolved..

Have you tried raiding the creative's forums and tech support?

Yes. No reply. Everyone seems to be stumped as I am. Because they worked before....I'm stuck with my on board sound card. And 2 speakers, not using my sub and other 3 :(

Your DMZ is a router thing. IF you enable it EVERY port is open and able to be access by programs, the net and other users. Stupidly I also turned off my firewall and with those 2 things....its not good for well being of a computer. And I guess that because I made no other changes to my computer around then. It was working fine before, and not after. Logic dictates that would be the logical problem. I also didn't make any tests, couldn't my computer working to make some tests.

Now my drivers won't install :( 400$ worth of stuff I can't use.

EDIT: And what I was testing was to get ports 6112-6119 working to host games on a game I play. However port forwarding wasn't working so I opened my DMZ to see if it work. It did, but to well....I Guess.

EDIT2: I dunno what I did. But I just randomly tried to install the drivers and it started working.....Odd world. And I'm getting times where the sound pops or pauses....its really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back