Sound but no mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall mather

when i try to use programs like skype my system says it doesn't support the mic device in my headset.i tried different mics but still no good. i have an onboard realtec audio and and an audiophile 2496 peripheral card which i disable and switch between but get the same message.

i can record onto my system from a mini disc with no problems just not with a mic

the mic panel is greyed out in the sound device properties of realtec and doesn't even appear when i switch to audiophile

i'm running windows xp

would apprieciate any kindly advice.

Have you tried windows messenger audio setup??? It can often correct problems with microphones!!!!

What pc have you got??
Is it an intergrated sound card??
What audio driver are you using and where did you get it from??

i have a gigabyte945p with realtec intergrated sound. i think the driver is called realtec high definition audio function which was on the motherboard installation cd

Ok. I had the same problem, and here is my fix:

1. Go to the Control Panel

2. Go to "Speech and audio devices"

3. Click the "Microphone" tab

4. Make sure the Microphone volume is all the way up(make sure the Mute checkbox isnt checked as well)

5. Restart your computer

If that doesn't work, post again.

Its possible you have multiple device drivers for your sound card!!!

Restart your pc and press F8 before windows begins to load and select "safe mode" from the boot gui that will appear. Then go into add/remove programs and remove the driver, then go into device manager and remove all soundcard components. Reboot into normal mode and install the soundcard software!!!!

See if that helps!!!!

rik said:
Its possible you have multiple device drivers for your sound card!!!

Restart your pc and press F8 before windows begins to load and select "safe mode" from the boot gui that will appear. Then go into add/remove programs and remove the driver, then go into device manager and remove all soundcard components. Reboot into normal mode and install the soundcard software!!!!

See if that helps!!!!
still no go i'm afraid. the audiophile card is now uninstalled so it just leaves the onboard sound. there is legacy audio drivers still installed but i wasn't able to uninstall them as there was no uninstall icon available for them when i connect the headphone jacks to the realtec sound card the soundcard tells me the mic is still not supported

sw123 said:
Ok. I had the same problem, and here is my fix:

1. Go to the Control Panel

2. Go to "Speech and audio devices"

3. Click the "Microphone" tab

4. Make sure the Microphone volume is all the way up(make sure the Mute checkbox isnt checked as well)

5. Restart your computer

If that doesn't work, post again.
the mic tab is greyed out along with the cd and others only the master volume tab can be accessed and changed

Remove the pci sound card and try again!!! Having 2 sound devices will confuse xp!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back