Sound Card good for Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, my brother recently complained about how his computer records his guitar, and described it as sounding choppy. He blamed in on his onboard sound, and I was just wondering if that might be the problem.

Would a nice Creative Sound PCI card or something record with more quality?

If he's not a gamer, there are other brands of sound cards that work very well or better than Creative's for recording audio, I just can't remember any of them right now :( The downside is not having anything higher than EAX1.0, but like I said before, if he's not a gamer he probably won't care.

A great sound card company would be Creative.

A good sound card company would be Chaintech. There cheap and they are better than onboard sound.

sound card for guitar

Hi retroman,
Actually on board sound is not THAT bad these days. I bet bro' is feeding the guitar straight into the line jack or worse the MIC! Guitars need a high impedance input, run it into a pedal first (anything will do, but a graphic is great) and this will "buffer" the pickups. Good cards; I use or have tried Audiophile2496($50) Trust Optical ($25) SB's I would leave alone, I just seem to blow them up!
You will need some software, Audacity is great but check out Demo downloads like Samplitude and also magazine freebies "Computer Music" CM studio
Keep on rockin'
Dave.

A cheap way is to get Soundblaster audigy. It still works well if you have good software; Amplitube is a must, except you get some latency. A more expensive way is E-MU firewire. But you still need amplitube amplifier simulation for both unless you have a lot of mic/amp hardware.

LipsOfVenom said:
A cheap way is to get Soundblaster audigy. It still works well if you have good software; Amplitube is a must, except you get some latency. A more expensive way is E-MU firewire. But you still need amplitube amplifier simulation for both unless you have a lot of mic/amp hardware.

This is good advice LipsOfVenom,
MIC/AMP hardware is necessary for a minimum recording setup. I use a Bose guitar effects processor between my guitar and the computer. I have a simple Turtle Beach Santa Cruise PCI sound card. I use Cakewalk

Yep, all good advice. But how many of us can stick a '58 in front of a Marshall vintage stack and let rip! Anyway the sound you want is always elusive, even with all the kit you won't sound like Clapton 'cos you are not Clapton! Download a demo of "native instruments" Guitar Rig2. even without the foot box this is goood. You will need a fairly meaty pc set up tho'
Do what you can and enjoy!

Rocking old F, Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back