Sound card help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcool

Let me first start by saying I don't know all to much about computers.

My dad and I built mine a couple years ago now and I haven't had any problems up until now.

My sound quit working a few days ago so I searched online all over the places about way to fix it.

I opened the device manager to see if anything had a yellow mark next to it and one thing did. A suggestion was made that I should just uninstall it and then it would automaticaly reinstall the driver (I Think that's what it's called) so I did this and it came back and it still had the yellow mark next to it. Well I don't know what I did but some how I deleted the thing completely. I do not know what it was but I deleted it.

If I remember correctly it was the name of my soundcard. Now I don't know how to find out what kind of soundcard I have to fix the problem. I looked through all of my material on the computer but the only thing I can find is the graphics card stuff.

I do however know that it was a soundcard that a lot of people where having problems with.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a website or some way to find out what kind of card I have and how I'm suppose to fix it :) thank you in advance

Do you have a sound card or is it onboard sound chip

Open the case if nessary if onboard then what kind of motherboard does it have look on MBoard or sound card for name & numbers

If not, allow windows to reinstall the drivers…then take down the device with the yellow mark and post the name.

that's the whole problem... I tried doing that and something apperently went wrong and it completely deleted the thing that had the yellow mark to it...

also I have no idea how to tell what it is I'm supposed to be looking for with that program the person above you told me to down load...

any idea?

k, did that... now what am I looking for :)

ryantruck said:
Look at this picture do you understand now

this is what mine looks like...

untitled222.jpg

untitled223.jpg

Could be that the audio is integrated. Go to motherboard >motherboard on the navigation menu. Look for something like "Integrated Devices". Otherwise it should show under Multimedia >PCI/PnP Audio in everest.

If it mentions Audio, then go to the manufacturer's website (link should be bottom of page) and download the driver for it.

If not there, go to Control Panel and try using the Add Hardware wizard and see if it picks up anything.

If both of those above fail, find out if its integrated or if its a card. Look at the back of the PC and if the speaker jack is on the same block as the serial ports, usb, key and mouse etc then it should be integrated, so go to the manufacturer website of your the motherboard's and look for your model. If its a card (going horizontally on one of the expansion slots) open up your PC with the power off and check if there's any brand markings or model no.s

N3051M said:
Could be that the audio is integrated. Go to motherboard >motherboard on the navigation menu. Look for something like "Integrated Devices". Otherwise it should show under Multimedia >PCI/PnP Audio in everest.

If it mentions Audio, then go to the manufacturer's website (link should be bottom of page) and download the driver for it.

If not there, go to Control Panel and try using the Add Hardware wizard and see if it picks up anything.

If both of those above fail, find out if its integrated or if its a card. Look at the back of the PC and if the speaker jack is on the same block as the serial ports, usb, key and mouse etc then it should be integrated, so go to the manufacturer website of your the motherboard's and look for your model. If its a card (going horizontally on one of the expansion slots) open up your PC with the power off and check if there's any brand markings or model no.s

ok I have a sound card on my motherboard..... my problem is that I have no idea how to navigate the MSI website to FIND the driver thingy I'm looking for :\

ryantruck said:
Try installing this driver download here http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104 I think this is the right one if its onboard

tried that and some error message came up telling me I couldn't install that

Acording to everest home edition you have a via vt8233A\vt8235 south bridge

I found this at the MSI website its the second one from the bottom

this should be the driver you need

ryantruck said:
Can you tell me, or show me a picture of what it said ?

the thing downloaded from the site... then when I went to do the set up after I extracted all the files from it this is what happened

viatech1.jpg

that happened first... then when I clicked next

viatech2.jpg

that came up

also, between this board and the actual MSI motherboard message board I was told to download two other drivers from the MSI site that were supposed to work as well.

one was entitled "Realtek_AC97_Audio_MB" which looked like it downloaded completely and that the setup was done completely because afteer doing the setup a program (I'm guessing, not quite sure) entitled AvRack was also downloaded but that didn't fix my sound problem, unless there was another step to be taken after I downloaded that, I tried clicking on the AvRack icon but nothing happens or comes up when you do.

the other one, which I'm not sure if it was a seperate download or came with the download you had me do was entitled "vinyl_audiocodec_v680b" which the same message came up when I tried to do the setup on that was as it did when I tried to do the set up on the one you provided

the message above means that that driver doesn't go with your sound adapter.

If you think one of the MSI drivers are the correct one, then lets start from scratch.

go to control panel, and uninstall anything to do with AvRack, Realtek audio and anything related to them etc.
Go to device manager and right click the audio drivers there and click "remove" or uninstall. Reboot into Safe Mode.
If the driver wizard ask you for drivers, click cancel for now. Install the MSI driver pack while you're inside safe mode and it should load it.
Reboot your PC to normal bootup and it should work.

N3051M said:
the message above means that that driver doesn't go with your sound adapter.

If you think one of the MSI drivers are the correct one, then lets start from scratch.

go to control panel, and uninstall anything to do with AvRack, Realtek audio and anything related to them etc.
Go to device manager and right click the audio drivers there and click "remove" or uninstall. Reboot into Safe Mode.
If the driver wizard ask you for drivers, click cancel for now. Install the MSI driver pack while you're inside safe mode and it should load it.
Reboot your PC to normal bootup and it should work.

under "Sound, video and game controllers" uninstall EVERYTHING?

do I uninstall all the "viatec" stuff as well?

also... I have sound blaster live on my computer (if that means um ANYTHING about well anything, just a little tid bit I guess)

Well, anything you think that relates to audio. So if it says Windows Audio Drivers under that tree, then yes, remove it, If it says Video codecs, obviously its not audio related... tho not sure about the viatech stuff, not familiar with it..

You can use google to help you find out what is and what isn't, but if you're not sure about anything, then just leave it there, just make a mental note of it later.

yer... how did you get sound blaster? old sound card that you removed or is it the one you have currently installed?

N3051M said:
Well, anything you think that relates to audio. So if it says Windows Audio Drivers under that tree, then yes, remove it, If it says Video codecs, obviously its not audio related... tho not sure about the viatech stuff, not familiar with it..

You can use google to help you find out what is and what isn't, but if you're not sure about anything, then just leave it there, just make a mental note of it later.

yer... how did you get sound blaster? old sound card that you removed or is it the one you have currently installed?

I have NO idea where soundblaster came from, If I remember correctly it was on here before I accidently deleted the thing off my computer :\

so uninstal audio stuff, start up in safe mode and then search for new hardware?

You need your motherboard drivers, Get your mobo name and model then download drivers,,
could be nvidia or via ,, or what have u,

This installs some stuff and also installs your onboard audio driver ,

Things should work now,,

worst case, after this install DX9 from microsoft ,,

Also double check that in your BIOS the onboard audio device is enabled,

gl,

ok maybe this will help?

I opened my computer up this evening and this is what I found

This is the back of my computer where my speakers are plugged in:

backxcomp.jpg

Then when you open the case the speaker cord is plugged into this

card.jpg

It says Sound Blaster Live in the corner

there are 2 prodominant things that stand out to me at least on the card

blackxsilver.jpg

The silver box

silver.jpg

and I could not get a good picture of the black box but it says

"Creative EMU1OK-ECF"

Also I'm going to take a wild guess that this would be the model number...

CT4670

hehe... i think i know why the sound won't work after installing the MSI drivers..

1. Your plugging your speakers into the wrong ports. The MSI/onboard sound is those 3.5mm jacks just above the monitor cable in your first picture.

2. If you want to use your Sound blaster card (better), you'll need to go here: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ and download the driver for it. From the picture i can't differentiate between the different models, but i know it could be a 5.1, possibly one of the gamers or platinum.. See if everest can dig around for more info on this under multimedia or something.. either that or do trial and error..

Go into safe mode use driver cleaner, remove drivers,

reboot, and install latest mobo drivers and other drivers,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back