Sound crackles when opening programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

As mentioned, i have had some audio problems, when I open a program (ie internet explorer, word 03) while iTunes or Windows Media Player is playing, the sound start to crack and i get some static, after the program finishes opening the sound returns to normal. This is most weird because until 2 months ago it was fine when opening programs, then my hard drive crashed causing all data to be lost. I then bought a new hard drive, reinstalled windows Xp and the Device drivers for the audia control and i now get the problem, no changes to anything else in the computer. :confused:
Please help, and sugestions would be very appriated
Cheers Hynes

Try updating or re-installing your audio drivers . This is a pretty common problem with onboard audio.

I've tried to find the driver software update, i found it but i can't get onto the FTP site to download it, any suggestions?

I'm not sure how to find which one i have, I have to use AC'97 Audio Driver by realtek, every time i try reintall or update the drive it fails to do so

so you've downloaded the generic drivers from realtek or the specific drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website?

your motherboard manufacturer's website.

use the cd that came with your pc (if its prebuilt) or your motherboard (custom build)

if your pc is prebuilt, then go to the website and search your pc model no. eg HP 1300a or something...

otherwise to find out the model/make of your mobo (if you dont already know) is to download Everest Home by Lavalys or SIW (in the download section of this website).
goto the manufacturer's website and download it there.

post if you still have trouble.

it custom built, came with the CD, the speakers crack when opening programs now, but if i try to reinstall the drivers, they just dont work at all, is there something i might be missing?

try re-fitting your RAM or switching it around.... i used to get crackling when opening programs and having music playing.... until i striped my pc apart and rebuilt it.... audio problems stopped and everything loaded quicker.

give the RAM switching a go.

just to eliminate your speakers can you test them on another device? or try a different set of speakers on the pc...

does it happen to all audio? including window's various beeps and stuff?

I have tried switching speakers, i have done everything, the only thing that i can think of is the ram which mattw suggested, ill give it a go and post up here wether it was successful or not

I tried the RAM thing, I think there might be a problem with my RAM, I have a 512 stick, but when i click on my computer it says I only have 448mb RAM, is this normal?
P.S. It use to say 512 mb RAM before my hard drive crashed

do you use onboard vga? that would hide abit of the ram for the graphics side of things. run memtest to confirm you dont have a dodgy ram. also take a look in bios to see if it reads it right

I fixed it, I downloaded a MEGA CODEC pack, them installed the new driver and the new realtek sound manager, restarted the computer and the music now works with out a crackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back