TechSpot

Sound Drops Out - but only in Games!

By Smafie
Apr 6, 2005
  1. Hi there..

Some might have seen the previous threads re my problems:
    Shutdown while Gaming

Well i cured that with a new PSU with help from ppl here, but i still have a Sound Issue, namely a minute or 2 after starting a game the sound drops out! I have reloaded new drivers for both the sound and grafix and tried different ones as well, but i cant find out what is causing this..

It doesn't have any problems in Windows and works well, it's only during a game! This PC is not much fun atm, as fast as i fix one thing something else happens - Grrr

Anyone have any thoughts on this one at all??

Regards
    Steve

2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

Try replacing the card and see if that works.

3. Smafie

Smafie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

It's an onboard soundcard i'm afriad isatippy

In a moment of desperation yesterday i bought an Audigy 2 Platinum Pro (not just for this, but i was intending to upgrade for other audio purposes soon anyway) and also a new S-ATA HD to start afresh.

Rather annoyingly the HD has defaulted to being the F: Drive instead of the C: although it is working quite normally so far and initial tests have been good. It seems the S-ATA connection is a lower priority in the boot sequence in the Bios being 3rd IDE device.

Anyway i will do some more tests when the thing is up and running again with a bit software loaded.

Thanks anyway..

Steve

4. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

just put in a card in the pci slot.

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

If you do this make sure to disable the onboard sound in your BIOS first. Otherwise you will have conflicts.

6. Smafie

Smafie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

Ah yes, i didn't forget that bit thankfully. I remember seeing that in another post.

So far the Sound from this new O/S and Audigy is stable and early tests have been good as far as gaming is concerned.

It's funny how irritating the O/S not being on the C: Drive designation is though..

Regards
    Steve

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.