TechSpot

Sound effects after booting?

By undiscovered
Dec 13, 2007
  1. Approximately 2 weeks ago, every once and a while after I boot up my notebook, I would hear a 2-3sec audio clip from my speakers - sometimes a sound effect, other times a voice. lol.

No applications would be loaded when I hear this sound. It only happens after I boot up - maybe a minute? Nothing appears, nothing seems to be running in the background out of the ordinary from msconfig. I have 2 gigs of ram, 700mb of which are being utilized immediately after bootup.

I read similar threads, but most individuals said it sounds affects often present after you update software. I have not updated in a while.

I ran AVG and it's clear of any viruses. I am also up to date with Vista. I notice a popup from windows informing me that a file 'ndt2.sys' is not responding properly. I researched that and found it 'could' be a trojan.

Sounds bizarre, I know.
    Ideas?

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Very strange. Read this

3. undiscovered

undiscovered TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up running SUPER anti Spyware on my notebook, and sure enough it detected ndt2.sys as a trojan. I have quarantined the file and have not noticed any 'sounds' after boot-up.

Attached is my hijackthis file.

If anyone could inform me of any problems?
    Thanks.

4. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

If you have Ndt2.sys and it's quarantined you are still not safe. I had that Rootkit and it's very difficult to get rid of. Here is my thread

5. undiscovered

undiscovered TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thanks.

I have re-scanned several times since removing the file and have not yet seen it appear. Could it still be hidden? Does my Hijack this file say otherwise?

I will run through the steps you did and see if anything further develops.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.