Sound from only 2 speakers when using line-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a soundblaster live card. It has two outputs, line-out and rear-out. I have these connected to my logitech z-560 speakers. I downloaded the latest windows xp drivers from the soundblaster website. In the audio control panel, i have it set up to output to 4 speakers... i've tested them, everything is good.
Now the problem is when I use those speakers to listen to my tv. I have my tv audio outs (right and left) connected to the line-in of my sound card (using a 1/8" stereo connector). For some reason, I only get sound from the front two speakers. Then when I select "digital audio only" from the sound blaster control panel, I get really good sound but only from the rear two speakers. This is only with the line-in audio signal. If I have "digital audio only" selected then my wave outputs are nulled for some reason... I don't get any sound at all from the PC (mp3s and stuff). Anyone who knows a bit more about audio might be able to help with this. Is it possible to get digital audio from the PC (i.e. with wave as a source?). And more importantly, why am I getting the weird 2 speaker outputs when I use the line-in (i.e. outputting from my TV). Thanks.

For one I don't think that digital output works (well) on analog speakers.

I don't know much about outputting from the TV or anything, I don't try to record shows or audio.

The Line-In is a stereo input, it's being outputted as stereo as well. You'd want to enable CMSS if you want 4 channel output with that source.
As regards connecting to your speakers & digital output, are you using only the analog outputs or does that system also provide a digital in? Either way, go with the analog inputs as that's the only way ou'd get 4 channel output.

The speakers are analog. Turns out when I set digital output only, I always get sound from the rear speakers but it is distorted. So I'll stick with the analog. Where do I enable CMSS from? I also read that CMSS gives distortion on the rear speakers... is that the case?
Thanks for the help.

Load PlayCenter & switch to the "player" mode (I think, the smaller one it is anyone). There's CMSS button in the bottom right I believe. That should do the trick when set to On.

I found it and set it to on... didn't work. I'm wondering why it is though that the line-in doesn't give me 4 speaker output when other sources give 4-channel surround. Is it something to do with the sound card? Or is it something to do with the internal connectors inside my tower? I was thinking that maybe the line-in doesn't get processed by the sound card... just routes the sound through. Is there a way to get it connected internally? Or how about getting one of the newer sound cards because the Sound Blaster Live I have is over 3 years old.
Thanks again for all your help.

Same Problem, Audigy LS

I have the same problem on my Audigy LS. I run the sound from my Mac to the line-in on my Audigy, and I want it out all 4 speakers. But it only comes out the front 2.

My temporary solution has been to use a sound splitter from the line-in cord to my rear amp's other input, but I'd rather just have the PC output to all 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back