Sound issues, need help

By TransAm00
Nov 20, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a dell XPS running windows XP with a 3.0 ghz processor, ATI 9800 pro video card and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card.

My problem is that I am hardly getting any volume out of my speakers even with the Volume fully up in both windows and on the speaker controls. This problem developed while playing a game and is now system wide. I thought it might just be the speakers so I hooked up some old ones, however the problem remained. I than thought it might be the soundcard drivers so I reloaded the original ones to no avail. If it helps, the game I was playing was Vampire the masquerade Bloodlines, and I had just installed directx 9.0c I also have the dell mulitimedia keyboard which I sometimes use to lower or raise the volume in game, but it seems to be working fine. I would be greatful for any help.
  2. TransAm00

TransAm00 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I just tried using a set of headphones with the system and the sound comes out very loud through them. I hope this info might help someone give me a suggestion as to the cause of my problem
  3. The Best Alias

The Best Alias Newcomer, in training Posts: 147

Are you using the same output jack for the speakers as the headphone? If yes, then I'd suspect a bad cable between the sound card and the speaker system. If no, have you verified that waves are turned up?
  4. TransAm00

It is a different connection but I have tried two sets of speakers with the same result. I'm now wondering if something is wrong with the sound card.

I am sure the waves are maxed out. I was hoping there was a widows setting I overlooked that was causing the probelm
  5. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Can you load the Windows Volume Control (Type sndvol32.exe into Start, Run & click Ok). Then use the options menu there to list all available Playback volume sliders, might be a case of one of them being really low & it wasn't shown in Creative's mixer.
  6. TransAm00

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it but still no change. :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.