TechSpot

Sound like a decent setup?

By DrCraniax
Jan 22, 2007
  1. Hey everyone,

After 4 years with my trusty P4 2.4ghz, it's time to move on. I'm a keen gamer but also plan to do some film editing on my next beast. So far this is what I'm going with.

Core 2 Duo E6600
    WD 320gb SATA2 16mb 7200rpm
    2gb STT DDR2-800 (2x1gb) - these sound like the bomb at the moment?

Waiting on some more DX10 video cards to come out before making a decision. In terms of the motherboard, this is where I'm not the brightest fish in the oven, so to speak.

Looking at Foxconn 955X7AA-8EKRS2 - seems to have everything I need for an alright price. Am I missing something? I'm stupidly paranoid I'm going to go ahead with the purchase and have some compatibility issues.

In terms of OCing I don't think I'm planning on pushing it much at all - a small 5-10% increase would be nice but nothing that requires more cooling solutions at this stage.

I'd really appreciate advice/suggestions - I know you all get barrages of them but I figure you enjoy flexing your knowledge muscles, so to speak.

Cheers guys.

Dylan

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

3. DrCraniax

DrCraniax TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, Abit one sounds healthy - been readig reviews on that FoxConn and it doesn't sound crash hot. Was also looking at that DS3 earlier - as well as this one
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-INF975X&show=r
    though I don't really need CrossFire support so it may not be worth the extra bucks.

Cheers F1N3ST

4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

I'd choose the Gigabyte DS3. It's an excellent mobo. Very good overclocker, has a great chipset, and solid capacitors (lasts longer than others).

5. F1N3ST

6. DrCraniax

Do we know if the DS3 will support DX10?

7. F1N3ST

They all will lol, DX 10 is in the video card and on a PCI-e Bus lol.

8. DrCraniax

Sweet.

me = learn(d)ing.

Thanks!

9. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

That'll be a nice rig. However I would change the motherboard choice. I don't know if you like to overclock or not but and eVGA motherboard will do great for overclocking.

Boards I'd reccomend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009 -eVGA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017 -Gigabyte

These both are great boards in terms of quality. They both will solidly perform, yet the eVGA will win because of the features it has. e.g. SLI mode. Of course it cost considerably more also.

10. DrCraniax

Well, as I said I'm not planning on OCing much and I'm sure as hell not bothering with 2 video cards... I think the DS3 will be the go!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.