Sound problem please help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewallard

hi all
im having problems with sound on my home pc
it was all ok then i formatted and now i have lost sound alltogether
i have looked through the boards and have seen many ppl have had the same problem.
i have lost the plug and play software enumerator........
now i have seen ppl have put in replys to other ppls requests for help
but!!!!!!
i cannot understand how to fix it eg copy and paste some info into ( cmd line ???? where???and then open the allmachine.inf????? again the wat???
sorry if this is easy to u all but i really dont no a lot wen it comes to these sort of things.
if someone out there could put the info i need into laymans terms

thanx

drew allard :( :( :( :(

if you reformatted you probably just need to reinstall the sound drivers.

If you want more help you will need to tell us what version of windows you are using and what sound card you have.

If you are using your motherboards onboard sound, you should go to the motherboards website and download the drivers. If that doesn't work, try to figure out what company makes the onboard sound chip (ie realtek) and go to their website for the drivers.

If you have a soundcard installed, go to that companies website for the drivers.

The same thing happened to me a while back with an older computer and it took me a while to figure out. I ended up going to realtek's website and it worked everything out.

good luck

reply to above responses

yeah im running realtek software audio ac'97
everything is on but not active
im missing the plug and play enumerator i no i had 1 b4
i have formatted in the past and been ok
not sure wat has gone wrong this time???
just need to understand how to fix it dont understand fix info on replys to ppl with same problem.
my system info below
running xp home edition,service pack 2
system manufacturer award
system model awrdacpi
system type x86-based pc
sepron 2200 prossessor
256mb ram
80 gig hard drive

thanx again drew allard

So if you try to play a cd or mp3 does it show up as playing or does it say there's no audio device?

Have you tried uninstalling the "audio device" in device manager and then re-installing it via "add new hardware"? Sometimes PCs just feel like being annoying and reinstalling problem devices can then fix said problem.

If it continues to be a problem i'd suggest buying a soundcard, u can get fairly decent ones for bout £15. Soundcards produce far better results than on-board and tend not to cause so many probs!

to sjps220

yeah ive tried unistalling drivers and so on and reinstalling them ive let windows install them to.
they install and say they are working ok but when i go to use sound on media player it say no audio device active
on dxdiag it shows no audio device and on device manager it says device working ok but not active !!!!!!

cookie

no m8 dont give me a option to activate it
im missing the enumerator i know that but how do i get it back ??#

drewallard said:
they install and say they are working ok but when i go to use sound on media player it say no audio device active
on dxdiag it shows no audio device and on device manager it says device working ok but not active !!!!!!

that's the same thing that happened to me. Try going here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True
and downloading the windows xp drivers. There should be a setup.exe file in the zipped folder which is what solved my problems. Give it a shot.

to cookie

cookie
that last info seemed to be the right thing but im curently low on finances do u no anywhere i could download those files without charge???
thanx for all your help on this much appreciated

I didn't realise they were charging for downloading them!!

The best option i can suggest is to download via peer-to-peer (BitTorrent, eDonkey, DC++, etc). I've searched edonkey and both files come up.

Glad i could help

Its a file sharing software, like napster used to be but does any file type not just music.

Have you heard of Peer-to-Peer file sharing? eDonkey's really easy to use, u just download the software from their website (google search) and install it, then search for the file ur after. If you choose this route make sure you've got decent anti-virus software, just a precaution!

hi guys

cookie and co
i have managed to download swenum.sys
but cant find swenum.inf could any1 find this for me pleeeeeeeeese
e-mail.it if u like im useless and u guys rock
really want sound back loads and loads of music i cant listen to :confused: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back