sound problems and computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys........I`m new here so I hope I`m in the right forum......I`m having major pains with my new computer (4 days old)........the OS is WinXP Pro, version 5.1.2660.........the processor is an Intel Pentium 4 CPU @2.53 GHz.....the BIOS is a FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix 4.06 Rev 1.01.1675........512 MB of DDRRAM.......56 GB hard drive.......the sound device is a SigmaTel C-Major Audio..............Modem is HSP56 Micromodem..........I was told that service pack 1 was installed on it, although when I look in "computer information" in the help files, it doesn`t show up.........it shows "Service Pack: 0.0".......I looked at the error log and it showed an application error while installing the service pack "faulting application xpsp1hfm.exe"......"faulting module ntdll.dll".........my computer is constantly freezing up.....it freezes if I try to run my spyware or anti-virus programs.........when I go online I notice my connection gradually gets slower and slower until the computer freezes up.......I tried 3 times to type this thread online and kept hanging up........I`m now typing this in wordpad and can hopefully stay online long enough to paste it onto a thread in the forum...........I`m also having a sound problem........when I try to play an audio file in windows media player, it shows the file playing, but no sound comes from the speakers........the speakers are working because I can hear that awful racket my modem makes when dialing my ISP........yesterday I experienced the blue screen of death for the first time..........I was able to recover from that by booting and going into setup and choosing "return to last working configuration".....(not sure of wording)..........I have also tried using system restore and that didn`t seem to work.........I don`t have much loaded onto my computer yet and was wondering about reinstalling Windows XP..........would I have to reinstall all the software and drivers and such for my modem, audio, etc?........if files are corrupted, will reinstalling Windows fix them?............if anyone can be of assistance, it will be greatly appreciated........if I need to post more information about my system or give details about the many errors on the error log just let me know............I`m at my wits end...........sitting here with my RBFH (really big friggin` hammer) awaiting your response..........thanks a bunch......"rarebear"

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

In the future try to use the <Enter>/<Carrige Return> (<CR>) button instead of just ......
It makes it easier for us to read, and makes people more likely to help (as they can actually understand what the problem is).

Anyways, over to the problem.
You say you have tried both boot last known configuration and using system restore?
If you can, try using system restore to restore to the first configuration available.

From what I can find in MS' knowledge base here the problem is with the program which determines what to update and what not to.

What I'd try to do if I were you were boot with my XP cd and then choose "repair installation". Do not choose console, but the other type (word slipped my mind) as it'll replace all the files that has been modified since you installed windows.
This means you have to install the service pack again, and any hotfixes, but at least it should work.

NOTE: Before doing this, I'd make sure I'd have written down all the information wrt to my isp (dial-up number, username, password, any special settings etc) as it might be lost.

That is the only options I can think of right now, but hopefully someone else will be able to come up with other solutions if they don't work.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back