Sound Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. I have a problem that is possibly coming from the sound card. I have been thru the entire dog and pony show with everything that could be causing the problem. The problem is as follows.

Problem : "Tick Tick Ticking" sound in the speakers while the system is on. When the system is booting to the desktop and windows XP plays its welcome chimes, the noise is not there, only after the chimes the ticking noise starts.

Action Taken : The drivers were updated. Sound card moved to another PCI slot. Power supply changed in case the cause was from "white noise".

Results : Ticking sound still present.

Computer Specs :

System Manufacturer: VIA Tech, Inc
System Model: KT600-9237
BIOS: Phoenix- AwardBIOS v6.00PG
CPU: AMD Athlon 2.0GHz
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
DX ver: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster (SB Live Audio) 5.1
Sound Driver Version : 5.12.0001.0244 (English)

If anyone has any idea of what else it could be, please let me know. I may just change the sound card out to a different one.
Thank you in advance.

White8989

goto this page and make sure ur bios settings are as close to what they ask for as possible. i have run in to quiet a few problems running creative cards, on VIA chipsets. careative

Thanks White Rabbit, I had checked on the creative web site for that info, and have set my bios to the specs to what is needed. I just finished removing all drivers and then physically moving the sound card itself to another PCI slot. So far nothing has worked. I called Creative on the phone, and they lol told me to do everything I already did again. I advised them than I was not going to redo everything that I have been doing over and over again for the past 4 months and that I was not new to computers or hardware. I did tell them that if I can not find an answer to the problem, I would remove the soundcard from my system, and turn the card into a cup coaster for my drinks after I return from getting my new sound card from another company
The ticking sound is a constant ticking sound that starts as soon as the drivers for the sound card are loaded. I have changed the drivers to match other cards related to the one that I have, as I have had this happen once before a few years back, but I was able to solve it with the drivers change.

Thanks,

White8989

What about an issue with a different driver, or an IRQ conflict? There is an issue out there with MSI 6800 ultras with a specific BIOS causing strange noises through sound. This is resolved with an updated bios on the vid card. Not saying that is the issue, but... Here is the article...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17887

Can you try the card in another system? That might verify that it is specifically with the sound card, or the drivers... Do you have any other sound cards to test in your system?

Bug

This may be a long shot, but I was having some sound issues with the same model sound blaster on a (different but still) via based main board. Chaintech Apogee 7VJL KT333 chipset.

I discovered that using the default Windows XP Driver fixed all the problems, its was just newer ones which seemed to bring it back.

Could be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back