Sound Randomly Stops -- WindowsXP Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear People Who Can Help Me With This...

I will try and be as to the point as possible and hopefully one of you will have some possible solutions. I've read most of the previous posts about this and searched all over Google, nothing has worked.

Problem: Sound stops playing after about 6 minutes. iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player or even online flash players will not begin playing any songs after that, or complete the one it is currently playing.

(So, for example, if I'm playing a song and it stops at 1:22 into it... the player will not progress to 1:23 or have any sound come out. Or, if I then try and click a new song it won't start at all.) By the way -- I'm just using songs as an example, no other sound works either.

Things Tried & Tested:

1) Speakers are brand new Logitechs and work perfectly for that initial 6 minutes or so. Also work fine on other computers/audio devices.

2) Since my original motherboard on board sound sucked (Asus K8N-E Deluxe) -- it would not play my left speaker -- I went out and got a cheap-O soundcard: Thundersound 4.1 Wave by Inland.

3) All drivers installed and up to date.

Only idea is...
I just got a new hard drive and loaded up Windows XP... however, I believe I've gone over my allowed usages on my serial number because when I try to download Service Pack 2 it won't allow me to do it.

Right now, I'm considering just going out and buying a fresh copy of Windows XP (mine is super old) as I am assuming that is creating the problem. All of the hardware and drivers work (except my USB 2.0 since I can't get Service Pack 2) so I am guessing that the issue is with Windows XP itself.

Has anyone encountered this problem before, and how have you fixed it? I thought I would ask before spending the $200 on a fresh Windows.

Thanks!
-Kyle

try to Acttavate the copy of Windows if it will not then u will have to call Microsoft. this will have to be done before u can download SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back