Sound stops working after random amount of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

momalyd

hi there i recently got conected to the internet so i reinstalled xp. the problem im having is sound seems to stop working after a random amount of time. its only noticible after restarting or opening a new program, the sound dosent stop while a program is open. if im watching a avi file i would have to keep he player open and use file>open to pleay the next file , but i restart the player or say start a game the sound stops. after inspection xp says i dont ahve a sound device installed, then after reboot it says i do have a sound device. it dosent seem to be any sepcific program that loses sound, iv lost sound after divx player, using ie, firefox, antivirus if run after 15- 20 of pc being on, and after any game. my only thoughts would be if its a virus or a reinstall sound codec problem. if you have any ideas on the subject i would love to hear them any help would be apreciated

I dont know how to fix it but iam haveing the same kind of problem when i try to listing to music is says wave problem or sound card problem do you know of anything??

this might have nothing too do with it but i enabled DMA on all my drives to solve another problem and my sound problem went a way for the 1st time in 3 months.

sorry after later inspection is had ether nothing to do with it or it made sound last a little longer for some unknown reason i can now open and close program sevrel time before sound goes. i cant rember if i said it in the original post but the sound comes back when closing xp for the final logging off windows page.

when i go to properties it says no sound device installed. when i restart it shows the sound device installed as normal. then sound didapears after open in and closing any programs and it says no sound device installed again.

Soundcard

Then you might whant to check to see If your soundcard is giving you the problem. :knock:

Are you sure you have the lastest drivers for your motherboard and sound card? If not download them, then see if your problem goes away.

yea i was going too get a cheap pci sound card too see if that fairs any better. ill see if that works

same prob!

I had a normal sound system up until yesterday

I transferred my DSL provider from one to another, this involves a "quick transfer" where I uninstalled a desktop program for my old DSL connection and resetted my modem

And soon after that I encountered exactly the same problem as you!

Sound works fine until a random 5~10 minutes after reboot then can't detect my sound device any more!

There was no new hardware installed.

The virus scan (RAV online) also showed nothing...

I still don't know what caused it.....

Addition to last entry:

- I used one of those registry scans that comes on internet (PC Onpoint v.1.01) it says I have a registry problem to do with missing sound files (this scan is done whilst the sound is working perfectly)

That darn program asks me to pay to register before it'll fix it or tell me what the problem is.

Either way, I'm gonna go off reviewing my system registry now.

Tell me if u got any clever ideas.

bingo - i rember acidently doing one of those onpoint reg scans aswell around the time this problem began, ill have a look in registry mechanic and get back too you

i got ewido securety suite, i have now noticed that my sound problem has cleared up, the only change i can attribute to it is it finaly cleaned the aroura abi networks, nail.exe and the VX2 mainlware off my system after AVG, Noaddware, Adaware and registry mechanic 3 failed to get rid of. all is well in computer land, and ironicly im getting a new motherboard in 4 days so i have too do a system wipe anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back