Sound suddenly stops playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway computer using Realtek audio and it has been fine for the past year that I've owned it. Sometime in the last 24 hours it has stopped playing sounds. Speakers are on, enabled, plugged in correctly, all devices are working, no obvious signs of conflicts etc. Nothing was changed in the hardware or software that I am aware of and sounds appear to play but nothing is heard. Speakers make a noise when plugging and unplugging them but that's all.

Only two significant things in the past 24 hours that I can think of that may have affected it somehow...

1) Tried Norton Ghost for the first time but cntr alt deleted out of it when I saw it would take 7 hours

2) Electrical storm with lots of lightening but I unplugged everything fairly early on and nothing else seems to be broken.

Thoughts?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go into device manager, and check to see if there are any yellow, exclamation, or question marks next to your sound devices.

Have you tried reinstalling your sound drivers?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

>Go into device manager, and check to see if there are any yellow, >exclamation, or question marks next to your sound devices.

There aren't any.

>Have you tried reinstalling your sound drivers?

Just tried that still no exclamations, question marks, or sounds...

If you are running either XP or ME. maybe do a system restore to a point before you did the Norton ghost thing.

Also check to see whether anything is muted in your volume control. (I know, but it does happen)

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Tried the system restore and it didn't help.

Volume levels are fine nothing muted.

Any other ideas?

I`m sorry GW4, but i`m unable to think of anything else at the moment.

Unless of course your speakers have gone wrong.

Regards Howard :confused:

Try hooking up another set of speakers...If you can't access another set...Try hooking yours up to a friends computer. You will know if its the speakers.

Your sound card or your speakers could be broke. Swap your speakers on another comp and see if they works. If they do, take another set of speakers and try them on your comp and see if they works. If they don't then you know it's a bad sound card. I hope you got someone near by with speakers and a comp lol.

Thanks

I have several computers and speaker sets. I will try swapping them around and see if I can narrow down the problem. Good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back