By Kaz_001
Aug 17, 2004
  1. Hi guys,
    I'm having a problem with my sound. When I open up Windows Media Player to play a video or a .mp3, no sound plays, the vidoe/visualizations play, but there is no sound. In winamp the song just doesnt play. HELP ME!!
  2. RockTheSuburbs

RockTheSuburbs TS Rookie

Did you make sure that your speakers were hooked up right?
  3. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

Do system sounds play? game sounds? or is there no sound at all?
  4. Kaz_001

Kaz_001 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Its on a laptop, so i dont hav 2 worry about speakers. And there are no sounds playing at all.
  5. Bug

Bug TS Rookie Posts: 79

more info would be useful...
    laptop make and model
    is there any issues listed in the device manager?
    has it ever worked?

6. Kaz_001

ok, Toshiba A70
    Windows XP
    No issues listed in the device manager
    And sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  7. Bug

Sorry, that brings up more questions...
    external or internal speakers
    does it work sometimes in certain applications, or sometimes in all applications...
    was it working fine before? did anything happen, such as dropping it?

If it works sometimes by gently tapping it, or in and out sound, I would think it might be hardware... Just an initial thought.

8. Kaz_001

internal speakers
    if it doesn't work it wont work with anything
    it was working fine when i first got it, but i dont know wut happened 2 get it to go crazy
    and it doesnt work wen i tap it

9. Bug

Wow that was a fast response!

Ok, I would start with trying software, as that is the easiest fix... If it is a possibility, I would even try with a fresh install, but I understand if that cannot happen. Make sure the latest drivers are installed and you have the latest MS updates. If the issue persists, check for a BIOS update and then contact the manufacturer (hopefully still under warranty???). See if there are any known issues and see what it would cost to have repaired.

If you know how to get into it, I would verify that all the connections internally are connected properly, but if you have never been in a laptop, I wouldn't recommend it.

10. Kaz_001

iv already updated drivers, and the MS updates. I dont know much about BIOS. and i dont know how to get inside, and i dont fancy doing it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.