Soundblaster Audigy SE install not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlno1

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new soundblaster Audigy SE sound card on my aging XP system.

When I run the installation disk it tells me that the install was successful and on reboot the creative autoupdate software detects the card and the driver version.

However the PC does not! It displays the 'New hardware discovered' message and prompts me for the drivers.

If I look in control panel->audio devices it says none installed. If I look in the device manager it's shown as a yellow question mark and says it is not configured properly.

The steps I've taken so far:
Flashed the BIOS,
installed latest chipset drivers,
Uninstalled old drivers via XP and Driver cleaner PRO
Installed drivers via disk/autoupdate/ let XP find them / directly from device manager.

I'm at a bit of a loss?!:(

My system comprises:
AMD Athlon 2400+
Asus A7V8X motherboard with Via KT400 chipset
1Gig Ram
NVidia 7600gs

Any ideas guys?

Hi KIMSLAND,

What's that driver you mentioned (alc65_wdm323)? Is that a driver for the onboard sound?

Yep - I have disabled onboard audio.

I had a similar issue when replacing an old Geforce Ti4600 graphics card.
The drivers appeared to install correctly but after reboot it gave me the same 'new hardware' message.

Searching some tech boeard I discovered it was some rogue registry settings that the old card had written. On deleting them it installed ok. It 'feels' like a similar type issue .....

rlno1 said:
Is that a driver for the onboard sound?

yes

And to come to think of it, you don't need that !!!

Sooo, in regards to that new soundblaster Audigy SE sound card
Arr forget it, I'll quit while I'm behind !

Sorry about that

The SE drivers are HERE

I`m not saying that will help,but downloaded installers are often more reliable than CDs..

Still no joy guys - any other ideas?

I've now removed all ather PCI hardware and tried to install the card into another PCI slot.

Still seems to install ok but after reboot tells me its dicovered new hardware. The driver installation just doesn't seem to 'stick.'

OK how about the other way around

Remove the new sound card again
Re-Enable the onboard Sound
Load all the onboard sound drivers (yes my link serves a purpose!)

Confirm sound is working properly

Then install the new sound card (leave onboard enabled)
Load all the drivers

Setup control Panel -> Sounds and Audio - > Audio tab
to the new sound card as default
Test

Couldn't hurt but to try
If this works I'm respected again !!! (disregard this line)

From what you have said this card is either faulty or has a compatibility issue. Can you try it in another system to check this out?

Hi Guys,

I'll give them all it a go tonight when I get home (damn - work just get's in the way of these things!)

A mate did mention checking the IRQ settings because a couple of years ago he had a similar problem with a soundblaster.

One thought I've just had though - my old card was an audigy2 which came preinstalled with my Mesh PC. If I remember correctly I think I had problems updating the driver on that one too. I vaguely remember having to rollback the driver to sort it out.

As I said this is a bit of an ageing machine and it was a while ago. Maybe it is a compatibility issue?!?

What a pain in the behind...

You should not have to worry about the IRQs - XP is much better at dealing with these that any of the older OSs. Besides, if there is an IRQ conflict the system would not detect the card and prompt you for drivers.
Look forward to hearing the results tomorrow!

Even more curious....

Guys,

Last night I removed the sound card card and enabled onboard sound.
On reboot it prompts me to install drivers and this fails in exactly the same way as the sound card did..... what's going on? Could this be a motherboard type thing? It seems to me like there is a fundamental conflict of some kind.

I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling windows. :(

Fails install of onboard drivers

Did you install the drivers I provided ?

Assuming yes

Have you un-installed all other Audio drivers installed in Add/Remove programs an Device Manager (There may now be a conflict)
Also fully un-install the onboard drivers again too.

Restart

Then re-install the onboard drivers

Hmmmm .... I'm a little concerned now.

I've just tried to install a new Firewire card (my old soundcard had the one and only firewire port.)

This won't install either. It recognises it as IEEE 1394 Controller but tells me it's unable to install drivers - Invalid data.

I think there's something fundamentally wrong with my set up. Do you think my motherboard is b*ggered?

There's no BIOS setting I need install any card is there?

In a worse case scenario, all drivers seem faulty, or all new drivers in this case.
I usually, download all the motherboard drivers to one folder say C:\MyDrivers
Then go to Safe mode and remove everything in Device Manage (mainly PCI bridge) but keep mouse.
Then restart back to normal mode, and allow all the drivers to reload, looking in C:\MyDrivers manually if needed.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!

I've sorted it at last :grinthumb

It was basically to do with some settings on certain registry permissions!!

Those that are interested take a look at https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic1094.html

It was the error installing the firewire card that gave it away!!

Thank &%^$ for that!!!

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated!!

Incredible posted May 2002 :grinthumb

And you searched similar in TechSpot, and tried it, and it worked.

I have copied this entire thread and original link
This may be my first option next time (and to search TechSpot :blush: )

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back